IDI into a newer truck what head aches to expect?

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this for sale and started to wonder what it would take
You must be registered for see images attach

could I install an IDI with a zf5 (or maybe zf6) manual t-case, locking hubs and ditch most of the electronics?
I still have one of the Uhaul ebay motors from back in the day and I've been thinking of a project to put it into
I can run old school mechanical gauges to monitor the motor.
I can wire up the starter and fuel shutoff
but what about the rest?
I assume the head light, turn signal, brake lights etc would work or does it all run through the ecm and all need to be re-wired ?
any ideas for a speedo? I'd need an early trans and t-case with a speedo cable or any other way to make it work?
I could use a gps to watch the speed as a last ditch option
will abs work or could it be abandoned?

it would give me a nice old school simple drive train with a nice quiet, comfortable cabin
and give me something to build with my motor

thoughts?
has anyone built one? I read most of the threads, I haven't seen one but hey, I could have missed it

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem in my area would be inspections. The newer diesels are under a microscope now. The EPA and the state are cracking down on deleted trucks. I guess it all depends on the area you live in, but if you put a idi in the newer truck, that would be a major delete of the emissions. If it still growls like a diesel, they may not look at it under the hood, but I am sure in my area they would look for all the cats and filters being there in the exhaust system.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. You would basically have to confront everything as it comes at you and use your imagination a bunch. And don't forget $$$$$$$!!!!!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Custom engine mounts, custom cooling, custom AC if you want it, custom driveline... It's like replanting an engine in any vehicle. Adapt, overcome.
Some states do frown upon the whole older engine in a newer chassis deal, but if it's not an issue for you, the only thing I'd think of is it may be an issue when it comes time to sell it.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a guy that did this to make his very own IDI-powered farm truck. It wasn't cab-n-chassis but it was an 05 IIRC. I'll search a bit for it, might be on FTE.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While the EPA has threatened racers and others for modifying late model vehicles for racing(off road use only), I don't think they are getting any traction, yet. So for now I would think you could get by with off-road use, but they are putting this junk on farm tractors and other off-road equipment as we speak.

You could see the priority of the design in older vehicles was to keep it running as much as possible, with limp home features and such. But now they are programmed to stop running from a simple emissions problem. The times we are living in.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bam here it is! Over on FTE. Turns out it was an 09. Same thing to my dyslexia! :rotflmao

6.4 to 7.3 IDI Swap
"Power to the fuse box pretty much operates everything so you don't need to do anything with the 6.4 computer."

finding all my answers in that thread
thanks

the truck is always worth at least the sum of it's parts.
a clean cab and rolling chassis is worth something
a low mileage idi plus trans is worth something
if i dont over pay for parts, the most I risk is my sweat equity
it's never going to be worthless, but thats not a problem for me
I sell my project vehicles the same way I sell my guns... I don't

for some reason I over looked 12v swaps. it's the same thing with the same problems
guess I had idi tunnel vision
so I can read up how they have addressed things

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Power to the fuse box pretty much operates everything so you don't need to do anything with the 6.4 computer."
That's awesome! Gotta love that
I sell my project vehicles the same way I sell my guns... I don't
:Thumbs Up love it!
for some reason I over looked 12v swaps. it's the same thing with the same problems
guess I had idi tunnel vision
IDI tunnel vision, lol. It's true. I am a believer in this as I didn't even know people did 12v swaps into more modern Fords. I've always heard about it with the OBS and that's about it.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That's awesome! Gotta love that

:Thumbs Up love it!

IDI tunnel vision, lol. It's true. I am a believer in this as I didn't even know people did 12v swaps into more modern Fords. I've always heard about it with the OBS and that's about it.
Have you seen that YouTuber who takes eco boost mustangs, and 12v swaps them? Guy is nuts. I love it.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Nope. I don't have the extra cash to buy either the car or the engine so I have no desire to watch those kind of videos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online