OD worth the $ ?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of info. here guys. Thank you all very much.
Here's what I've taken in so far.

The E4OD electronics goes against every reason why I sold my modern vehicle and bought this old truck. But it would probably do what I'm hoping for. Until the winter road salt got into the electronics.

The ZF5 sounds like the next best option but I'm getting older and maybe I'll have knee and hip problems in the future?

So I guess that leaves me with swapping gears or getting a Gear Vendors overdrive for the C6.

Or selling the truck and trying to find the F150 gasser that I probably should have bought. ;-)

@IDIBRONCO, What's up with that torque converter you posted? Less slip?

1983idi

Reaction score
What's a comfortable highway speed with the ZF5?
I swapped to a ZF5 from a C6. Much quieter on the highway and better mileage overall 3-6 mpg extra. Wind noise gets worse and worse the faster you go but I need new door and window seals. I have 3.54 rear gears and just 2wd. 70-75 is a very comfortable cruise speed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can perfectly understand that. Sometimes, you have to dance with the devil a little bit in order to get what you want, unfortunately. Today, these trucks are kind of a compromise. The only way to get "it all" is to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on a new(er) truck. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of a properly rebuilt and upgraded E4OD. The factory controllers are old enough now that they can and do give people huge headaches due to corrosion in the wiring. The aftermarket controllers and wiring are all brand new parts.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO, What's up with that torque converter you posted? Less slip?
Yes. It's for as C6. I believe that it's called a Maximiser, but I'd have to look to be sure. It has reduced slippage compared to the stock convertors. I bought this when I was planning to do a IDI swap into my Red Truck with a C6 and a Doug Nash 2 OD, but shelved that idea when the fuel prices went crazy last year. If you went with a Gear Vendors, this torque convertor would definitely compliment the OD.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I avoid the highway. Probably only once a month or so. And usually not more than 30-60 miles.
Locally the main road is posted at 50mph and we usually go 60mph. Usually doing stretches of 5-10 miles. A few times per week.
So it's not unbearable. And MPG isn't a concern.
Do you think I would regret the gearing swap?

Maybe I'm over-reacting to the RPM thing and should just get taller tires? I am due for a new set.
60 MPH is enough to wish you had overdrive. That's how fast I would cruise with my truck before I re-geared from 4.10 to 3.08. If 3.08 was possible in a dana 60 front axle, I'd still have 3.08s even with the E4OD, because it gave me the option of 2 comfortable cruising gears.

Here's some comparisons for 60 MPH. We'll assume stock tires.

C6 with 4.10: :2600 RPM *
T19 with 4.10: 2600 RPM
E4OD with 4.10: 1850 RPM
ZF5 with 4.10: 2005 RPM

*The amount of slip is higher, at LOWER RPM, so there may not be much at 2600, but lower RPM will allow more slip. This is why an auxiliary overdrive won't help as much with slush boxes. Most of them are also intended to operate as a gear splitter, so the overdrive ratio is relatively narrow. Usually only 20%, compared to 25-30% for most OEM overdrive ratios.
ZF5 Overdrive: 0.77
E4OD Overdrive: 0.71

Would you regret swapping to 3.54? Maybe. My truck sometimes feels like it's caught between 2nd and 3rd, where 2nd is too short and 3rd is too tall. However, the turbo is enough to make up for it.

The E4OD had it's issues back in the day, but there is one thing going for it: Availability. There's just so many of them still out there.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I think that kinda sold me on the E4OD (with new electronics). Thanks.
Doing the swap is out of my league.
There are a few old guy shops near me. I guess I'll talk with them and ask how to proceed and what it might cost.
I also want my tanks and tank switch replaced. Maybe having the bed and tanks off for that would also make the tranny swap easier and a better price for doing it all at the same time?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Trans is mostly under the cab, so taking the bed off won't have much benefit there. Would definitely recommend for the tanks.

@franklin2 can you elaborate on the custom computer bit? I've only ever heard of the factory tcm running these.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you elaborate on the custom computer bit? I've only ever heard of the factory tcm running these.
Thread 'E4od US shift quick 4 stand alone transmission controller available' https://www.oilburners.net/threads/...lone-transmission-controller-available.90165/

This showed up on a Google search. The banks transcommand looks to be another option. I have seen people talk about the banks kit on the powerstroke for controlling torque converter lock with an exhaust brake.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@franklin2 can you elaborate on the custom computer bit? I've only ever heard of the factory tcm running these.
The one that I think of is made by Bauman if I spelled that right.
The banks transcommand looks to be another option.
I don't think it's a stand alone controller. I think that it's used along with the factory controller to override some of the settings in it. I also may be wrong on that.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a stand alone controller. I think that it's used along with the factory controller to override some of the settings in it. I also may be wrong on that.
You are probably correct on that. To be completely honest I haven't put much research into anything involving an auto. Pretty much anything I buy with an auto I drive until it craps out and manual swap it.

The link I shared says it is a stand alone, but I don't really know.

James

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The ZF5 sounds like the next best option but I'm getting older and maybe I'll have knee and hip problems in the future?
Relax. The clutch will keep your joints in good working condition.

I've already had some 'could have been a lot worse' leg injuries over the years, and if anything - driving manual trans amounted to physical therapy.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The zf clutch is relatively soft to push compared to other cars. Assuming you have a factory spec clutch. Switching from dmf to SMF I notice no difference in pedal effort.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Where I have run into a high effort with the clutch... one was a Southbend, the other issue is the clutch pedal pushrod/pivot wearing out.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also use the 4r100 from a 7.3 power stroke and use the IDI torque converter. The stand alone controllers are robust and simple, adding very little "electronics" to your truck. As you have seen a core trans is cheap and around here a rebuild is 1000-1400 with you removing and installing the trans. It seems that would be a good option for you. You can pick up a fresh trans with converter for 2200-2600 from multiple suppliers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online