Let's Talk Intercoolers

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
actually looking at that one. It is a bit different than mine is. I couldnt see it on my phone when you sent me the pic. my bars going across seem flat while yours are at an angle.

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks exactly like the one on my sandrail, and all this lag talk, I ran a 6.0 icand now a cutdown 7.3ic , noticed no difference at all. once the air is moving thers isnt any "lag".

plumbing is a bigger issue than IC size, tubing size and bends and so on.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. The CRX Racing intercooler is what I used in the Moose truck, and judging by the photos above, everyone is finding a good bit of commonality in how to mount it. I'm probably one of the few people who will mount it "upside down" due to the unique short and wide radiator of the early non-AC truck application.
You must be registered for see images

Black dawg

Reaction score
Looks exactly like the one on my sandrail, and all this lag talk, I ran a 6.0 icand now a cutdown 7.3ic , noticed no difference at all. once the air is moving thers isnt any "lag".

plumbing is a bigger issue than IC size, tubing size and bends and so on.

x2 on the lag issue. My 6.0 intercooler added zero lag even with a non gated kit

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...=CXR&Product_Code=IC0022&Category_Code=IC30CO

just pick what size and configuration you need. The one you see in my pic the CORE is 12x24x3 and overall is 31x24x3

again go on ebay and look for universal intercooler or search cxracing. You sometimes can find them with a bestoffer option and you can save a few bucks.

you say one size,but link to another.can you clarify please?

thanks for all the reviews on these affordable coolers guys.this is gunna cost less than i thought.
i guess all the piping stuff adds up though.
they have uni pipe kits too.anyone have thoughts on one of those for a 9th gen truck to get a decent start?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
sorry if this has already been asked in this thread, but is there any issue with running the CDR threw the intercooler as far as oil build up in the intercooler?

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 and 6.0 power strokes run it through the intercooler, and they don't have any issues with it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
sorry if this has already been asked in this thread, but is there any issue with running the CDR threw the intercooler as far as oil build up in the intercooler?

Oil will start to build up in the intercooler, unless you actually work the truck on occasion. On my truck, during the winter months when it doesnt do much towing, I have drained as much as 1/2 qt from the bottom of the cooler.
I would consider the blowby on this truck to be on the high side of normal.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
How big is hypermax idi intercooler? Maybe looking at one if its big enough

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is a couple pics of my install that i just finished. Im just throwing this in here if anyone is curious. I used the CXracing intercooler from ebay

I used the same one, fit perfect, all of it gets airflow behind the grill. I used 2.5 out of the turbo into 3 inch reclocked 7.3 hot side pipe and kept it 3 inch into the hat. used to make 12psi max WOT now it makes 15psi instantly and hauls the mail!

Javier

Black dawg

Reaction score
I used the same one, fit perfect, all of it gets airflow behind the grill. I used 2.5 out of the turbo into 3 inch reclocked 7.3 hot side pipe and kept it 3 inch into the hat. used to make 12psi max WOT now it makes 15psi instantly and hauls the mail!

Javier

where is your boost gauge hooked to? Intercooler installs usually show a loss in bost psi.