Let's Talk Intercoolers

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is your boost gauge hooked to? Intercooler installs usually show a loss in bost psi.

Same place it was before the intercooler, it is at the hat.
At WOT I get 800 on the pyro wich is pre turbine.

I have room to fool with it now.

I wont for a good while, just getting it back on the road again.

Javier

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone tried one of these universal kits with the piping and clamps? i think im gonna try this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-B...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5890e75663&vxp=mtr

I was going to ask the same thing so I am glad I found your reply.

Everyone that is not using a ATS intercooler set up made for our trucks how are you getting your piping? Are you buying a universal kit and peicing it together or are you buying particular bends to make them??? If so can you post what sections of pipe you need to make this work.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cooler is a bit on the small side, but it is 3" deep.

Buy it, install it, test it, then report back ;Sweet

Make notes of your before and after exhaust temperatures,

i ordered the intercooler kit, im gonna see how it does with it, i wont be able to record the before and after egt's due to the fact i dont even have the engine in the truck, im in the process of swapping a 351w for a 7.3

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ordered the intercooler kit, im gonna see how it does with it, i wont be able to record the before and after egt's due to the fact i dont even have the engine in the truck, im in the process of swapping a 351w for a 7.3

Let us know how it looks. I may order it soon.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post pictures!!! I have a very similar kit in my garage that I bought for one of my cars, but I don't think I am going to end up using it, so I would like to use it on my truck.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put it all back together. It'll be apart soon. That thick intercooler barely fits :hail

I'm going to start a thread of a few problems. Namely the hood release is in the way. I want this cooler completely above the bumper.;Sweet

I am also curious how others handled the intake hat.
I would suggest not buying a kit as I did. The piping will be all wrong. Just buy the intercooler, then try to figure out what piping and clamps are needed. Hopefully there will be a supplier nearby with a decent return policy. I may not even use most of the pipes.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys.having fun and excited about getting to this mod finally.another opportunity to show it off here too.:D

CXRACING IC0022-BLK
Black Powder Coated Aluminum Universal Intercooler
Overall Size:31"x12"x3"
Core Size:24"x12"x3"
3" Inlet & outlet

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...XR&Product_Code=IC0022-BLK&Category_Code=INCO
(bit cheaper on ebay.and much cheaper for same part number without "BLK" powder coat option.)

just mounting her all up.cutting openings for holes.got the couplers.but i can't bend pipe or weld,so iv got to take it to an exhaust shop and let them run 'em for me.running 2.25" exhaust pipe.
banks 2nd gen/9th gen f-series/fisher mm plow push plate setup (just fits nicely)/ats 093 pressure chamber.
i'll post pics when the pipes are run.;Sweet

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    792.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 34
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 43

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
intercooler

I have that ebay intercooler, seems to work well. see what I did for my hat.
Runs like a gas engine to me like it has a 4 barrel carb on it. truck goes alot faster than I want to go.

Like I said earlier 800EGT is all I get out of it but that is unloaded, once I load her up with a car hauler I imagine the EGT will get past 800 so I am not touching it till I test out the car hauler.

Javier

Attachments

• nov2012 111.JPG
    nov2012 111.JPG
    544.1 KB · Views: 104
  • nov2012 109.JPG
    nov2012 109.JPG
    527.7 KB · Views: 89
  • nov2012 113.JPG
    nov2012 113.JPG
    513.2 KB · Views: 94

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that looks good idiabuse.;Sweet

can someone tell me if the silicone coupling needs to be a 2.75" to slip onto the ats 093 pressure chamber?
i got a 2.5" and no go.it can't take a 3" and seal can it?

or maybe what i should do is jb weld in a piece of pipe so my air flow isnt disturbed by where that o-ring sits.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
prepare factory turbo/ats hat for intercooler pipe

prepare factory turbo/ats hat for intercooler pipe,the low restive way guys.got it figured out.

buy a 2 1/8 ID exhaust pipe to fit inside.i used a 2 1/8 id x 2 1/8 OD.
im running 2 1/4 pipe and my 2 1/4 coupler fits right over it very snugly.
using a 1/2" drill bit,i was able to very,very easily and quickly hone the inside of the hat out just a tad bit for the pipe to slide in using grease on the fitting,and gently tapping into the hat with a hammer.gently now.if still snug,ream it out a little more with the drill.it doesn't take much.i went for like 30 seconds.you don't want it so tight that you crack the housing.very careful.ditch that 0-ring,and be sure to ream out the second collar past where the o-ring sits.you want the pipe to slide in past that groove so there is no unnecessary air turbulence.
be sure to wash it all out now.you don't want those metal shavings going down the intake!

now just seal it up using some high temp muffler dope around the outer rim.i still need to do this now.she's so snug im not sure if it would ever leak,but im gunna make sure.this can be a permanent connection.
of course it "should" be cool air coming in here from the cooler,but it's not like the high temp sealer cost an arm and a leg compared to something else.
the reducer and exhaust dope was just found at the local autozone.cost was around 10 bucks.

now notice,you have much more streamlined airflow into the hat than if you just put a boot on the outside.
the other advantage,no taper! no hassle with blowing off the boot!
much better solution all the way around.

additionally you'll need 3 more parts if you have a banks turbo like i do,or if your in need for your current ats hat:

1.a shorter bolt than the center pressure chamber bolt of the banks turbo (which is 4" long)
grade 8 flange bolt. 3/8"–16 x 2 1/2"

2. a 3/8 copper crush washer came to seal the chamber bolt from ats.
i recommend using a 3/8" aluminum Stat-O-Seal instead.

3.a lower pressure chamber gasket.Fel-Pro #60038 (use black rtv on both sides) OR Victor Reinz #G27098 (use black rtv on both sides) OR custom ordered to those gasket specs a reusable square cut o-ring.

Attachments

• 100_1162_1.jpg
    100_1162_1.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_1161_1.jpg
    100_1161_1.jpg
    828.5 KB · Views: 461
  • 100_1159_1.jpg
    100_1159_1.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 436
  • 100_1157_1.jpg
    100_1157_1.jpg