Let's Talk Intercoolers

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys with intercoolers noticed a drop in coolant temps while towing heavy up grades? It would seem logical that the engine would be slower to heat up if you're pumping cool air in. Either way I'm installing my cooler in the next couple of weeks, just hoping for an added bonus besides what's already mentioned:D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opinions on aluminum or steal tubing?
Aluminum. Lighter, so it's less likely to flop around at the joints over the bumps in the road. Flopping pipe can cause leaks, cut boots, or hit belts....... that kind of thing. They will retain less heat. They will never rust. The only down side is.... not everyone has the equipment or the skill to weld it up.

So my question is.. where do you mount the I/C if you have one of those giant a/c condensors up there? underneath that thing or in front of it or what? just curious.
In front of the condensor is the most common. You certainly could put the condensor in front IC, but have to mod the mounts and get custom lines.

Have any of you guys with intercoolers noticed a drop in coolant temps while towing heavy up grades? It would seem logical that the engine would be slower to heat up if you're pumping cool air in. Either way I'm installing my cooler in the next couple of weeks, just hoping for an added bonus besides what's already mentioned:D
I saw a significant improvement in EGT's and water temp. However, I did install a Rodney Red Radiator at the same time............ so the big improvement coolant temp when hauling is more than likely a reflection of the RRR and to some lesser extent the IC.

Heath

Black dawg

Reaction score

I was hoping that my intercooler install would help my high but controllable coolant temps. As near as I can tell, I still have sufficient airflow through the radiator, but because of the added power, my coolant temps get out of hand real quick. Power wise, the intercooler was the most worthwile mod to my truck, just need to get something figured out with the coolant temps.

Before the intercooler, coolant temps would get 230ish in 5 miles of 6-7% with lots of slow corners. After the intercooler, coolant temps climb quickly in the first mile.

Heath, what kind of egts do you get max?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, what kind of egts do you get max?

With the 5th wheel in tow (16,860lbs truck and camper total), hauling through the hills of Kentucky, I saw 1100 a few times before getting the timing sorted out (was 12.5 BTDC). After Mel set the timing to 9.5 BTDC, the EGT's stayed under 1000 on hills. But, I don't let the RPM fall under 2250 either. Under that, it doesn't matter what's under the hood, the EGT's will climb. But, keep it singing over that RPM with a load and the EGT's are no longer a problem............ even with the Moose pump/injectors.

The Rodney Red has been my best mod for heavy hauling......... bar none! I used to drive by the coolant temps and the pyro. I don't have to watch either now. I can accually watch the road. LOL

Heath

Black dawg

Reaction score
With my normal load, (18-20k total) I can see 1150, but it WILL NOT go any higher. I cant imagine what egt would be like without all the help I have given it.

I wonder sometimes if I am just running the old truck too hard. One of these days I will put a stock pump back on it and tune it down to where cooling isnt an issue.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do bear in mind there are two types of IC's out there. one is the full height IC and the other is the half height IC. I have the half height IC. my truck has been buttoned up since '05 and has required no major surgery since outside of eat a IP and injectors(garbage fuel will do that to you). I have run most of the western states to the Mississippi loaded to gross, pulled a combined of 17k and never had a cooling system overheat issue due to the IC blocking the radiator.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This question has been on my mind too about cooling issues with the addition of an intercooler. I recall Russ posting about his psd intercooler that covered the complete radiater. So he cut it down and did a fine job doing that. The coolant temps dropped too. So useing intercoolers that cover only half of the radiater seems to be the ticket. I recall Mels aftermarket intercooler in the smaller one. Because of his wide short radiater he needed a special setup to fit..

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coolant temp?

This question has been on my mind too about cooling issues with the addition of an intercooler. I recall Russ posting about his psd intercooler that covered the complete radiater. So he cut it down and did a fine job doing that. The coolant temps dropped too. So useing intercoolers that cover only half of the radiater seems to be the ticket. I recall Mels aftermarket intercooler in the smaller one. Because of his wide short radiater he needed a special setup to fit..

I have wondered that also. I recently took a 2000 mile trip that ended up with 15 mpg and I was shocked it was that bad, one thing I did notice my coolant temp was too low.
Only have the OEM gauge, most of the trip it was well below halfway.
Since the trip I have blocked off an entire half of my radiator and the mpg has improved and the engine gets up to temp a bit sooner.
So I would say you have to find out what your truck likes.

Javier

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you got 15 mpg with a c6 at what sounds like a long trip on the interstate at high speeds no less.there is no locking converter.kiss that GV a big sloppy one and be happy.you did great imho.;Sweet

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you got 15 mpg with a c6.there is no locking converter.kiss that GV a big sloppy one and be happy.you did great imho.;Sweet
Well maybe so but 20mpg usually is the norm. I did purchase a low stall Ford Motorcraft Converter wich help a bunch and I was using a str8 mix of waste motor oil and stale gas with no other additive.
I had to crack the IP loose and advance it a bit to get the smoke level down halfway into the trip.

Now I use DieselKleen with every batch I make now and it made a difference.

So the testing continues...

Javier

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We want our Diesels to run hotter! they become more efficient when operated at 230F I am working toward that goal.
I will be removing the propeller soon and sell it to the airboat guys and installing some electric fans so I can control the temp
with a controller to keep the engine above 200F all day long.
Oil stays cleaner burns off more contaminate and fuel milage will increase.

Just cant use that silly water based coolant...

Javier

Black dawg

Reaction score

I dont remember him posting about any drop in coolant temps after cutting down the intercooler. If coolant temps did drop, I have some work to do.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
prepare factory turbo/ats hat for intercooler pipe,the low restive way guys.got it figured out.

buy a 2 1/8 ID exhaust pipe to fit inside.i used a 2 1/8 id x 2 1/8 OD.
im running 2 1/4 pipe and my 2 1/4 coupler fits right over it very snugly.
using a 1/2" drill bit,i was able to very,very easily and quickly hone the inside of the hat out just a tad bit for the pipe to slide in using grease on the fitting,and gently tapping into the hat with a hammer.gently now.if still snug,ream it out a little more with the drill.it doesn't take much.i went for like 30 seconds.you don't want it so tight that you crack the housing.very careful.ditch that 0-ring,and be sure to ream out the second collar past where the o-ring sits.you want the pipe to slide in past that groove so there is no unnecessary air turbulence.
be sure to wash it all out now.you don't want those metal shavings going down the intake!

now just seal it up using some high temp muffler dope around the outer rim.i still need to do this now.she's so snug im not sure if it would ever leak,but im gunna make sure.this can be a permanent connection.
of course it "should" be cool air coming in here from the cooler,but it's not like the high temp sealer cost an arm and a leg compared to something else.
the reducer and exhaust dope was just found at the local autozone.cost was around 10 bucks.

now notice,you have much more streamlined airflow into the hat than if you just put a boot on the outside.
the other advantage,no taper! no hassle with blowing off the boot!
much better solution all the way around.

additionally you'll need 3 more parts if you have a banks turbo like i do,or if your in need for your current ats hat:

1.a shorter bolt than the center pressure chamber bolt of the banks turbo (which is 4" long)
grade 8 flange bolt. 3/8"–16 x 2 1/2"

2. a 3/8 copper crush washer came to seal the chamber bolt from ats.
i recommend using a 3/8" aluminum Stat-O-Seal instead.

3.a lower pressure chamber gasket.Fel-Pro #60038 (use black rtv on both sides) OR Victor Reinz #G27098 (use black rtv on both sides) OR custom ordered to those gasket specs a reusable square cut o-ring.

banks sidewinder w/ 9th gen truck.92-94.here is what you need,in the order of airflow;
hot side.turbo out to intercooler:
use existing blue banks 2.25" Hump Hose Coupler and clamps.
1 x 2.25" Aluminized Steel, 3.00" Radius, 45 Degree Mandrel Bend
1 x 2.25" Silicone Straight Coupler with 2 x 2.25" T-bolt clamps OR a weld.
1 x 2.25" Aluminized Steel, 3.00" Radius, 90 Degree Mandrel Bend.
1 x 2.25" Silicone Straight Coupler with 2 x 2.25" T-bolt clamps OR a weld.
1 x 2.25" Silicone Hump Hose Coupler with 2 x 2.25" T-bolt clamps.
1 x Silicone Reducer, 90° bend - 3.0" to 2.25" with 1 x 2.25" T-bolt clamp & 1 x 3" T-bolt clamp.
.............. CXRACING #IC0022-BLK (or simply #IC0022 for non treated/bare aluminum) intercooler...................
cold side.intercooler to engine intake:
1 x Silicone Reducer, 90° bend - 3.0" to 2.25" with 1 x 2.25" T-bolt clamp & 1 x 3" T-bolt clamp.
1 x 2.25" Silicone Straight Coupler with 2 x 2.25" T-bolt clamps OR a weld with 1.5" section of 2.25" pipe.
into 093 ATS ('93 & '94 factory turbo) pressure chamber,as instructed here;
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...k-Intercoolers&p=708374&viewfull=1#post708374

fyi;
mouse over the pics or right click/properties.see pic labeled #2.
if you cut off 1/2" or so on the first pipe coming out of the turbo,the pipe would come out away from the radiator a little,and set more level if desired/needed.
i may do this just for looks.it's about the only section that looks off.

first impressions;
(20 min winter drive.winter blend fuel.current temps fairly warmer today that it has been.around 37F at time of drive.running empty on steep hills.which is 8k lbs.)
as to be expected turbo boost time is slower...aka turbo lag.it's nothing drastic,but she's not as snappy as she was before trying to fill them pipes and cooler of course.
mainly where you feel the extra lag time is pretty much just when you goose 'er.normal driving only very slightly altered.but turbo lag is most definitely present compared to no cooler at all.so be wary to those who claim to run massive cooler with even larger piping and say turbo spool up time didn't increase.
personally i like this,but no way would i go any larger (for a idi turbo kit.8-10 psi ranged turbo.)

also as you can imagine,turbo pressure drop is present now filling pipe and cooler.
i was peaking 9.5 psi prior to intercooler install.im now peaking 8 psi (brief peak) then falling back to 7-7.5ish range fairly quick.but you don't feel power loss when boost falls off.it's slick.

performance feels pretty much the same even though she's down 1.5psi.so that's a dang nice sign that i might see some economy increase.i so hope.
keeping in mind it's the dead of winter and winter blend fuel is lower on energy.

i'll have to check my timing now.the cooler more dense air,feels as if it retarded the timing too much.this could account for some extra lag too.

two things that failed.
1.use jbweld not that muffler dope.with the jb i now have a solid seal that will last the life of the truck and well beyond.
the muffler dope didn't last but just a few drives.then it was simply gone lol.
2.replace the two clamps on the blue banks boot with two more good t-bolt style.so count for two more 2.25" t-bolt clamps when ordering parts.could have been i simply didn't get the standard type tight enough,but she leaked and blew boost/oil out right there.cleaned it up slid the boot back on and upgraded to the t-bolts since i had ordered plenty of extra.not sure what i was thinking not upgrading them while i was at it anyway.
anywho,besides those,she looks like it'll be fine.
coming up out of the first bends through the rad support,after the first 90's then the hump hose connecting the other 90's that come up from behind the radiator.i placed muffler clamps to hold the bottom 90's still while letting the upper 90's flex in the hump hose.
actually i did this only on the pass side.should be both ideally.for the drivers side,i placed a muffler clamp up by the oil fill cap.
i don't think i posted the muffler clamps yet,but there's more pics on fte;
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...installation-w-ats-hat-and-9th-gen-truck.html

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im doing an intercooler install this weekend hopefully but I cant seem to be able to find an aftermarket intake hat to use for an intercooler. I have the stock ats intake hat... not sure if it'll work or not but it doesnt seem like anyone uses the stock intake hat. Any help would be appreciated.
Bill

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get in touch with type4 on this site he at least used to make on that works well.