Let's Talk Intercoolers

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im doing an intercooler install this weekend hopefully but I cant seem to be able to find an aftermarket intake hat to use for an intercooler. I have the stock ats intake hat... not sure if it'll work or not but it doesnt seem like anyone uses the stock intake hat. Any help would be appreciated.
Bill

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hypermax sells an intercooler intake hat but I really don't know if it can be made to fit what your doing. Typ4 aka Russ in Oregon has made several hats for some of our members here. Might pm him or contact him thru this thread.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
For a daily driver that doesn't see towing and EGT's are not even close to being at a dangerous level, do you guys think it would be worth the time and effort to intercool only 5psi cuz that is what i run?

anybody installed a cooler either 7.3 factory cooler or 6.0l cooler in a 2wd truck, that front sway bar is gonna make it challenging.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have missed it in this thread but isn't there a certain intercooler of ebay that fits very well in our trucks? If im not mistaken someone did a thread on their I/C they bought off ebay for a very fair price and the fit was good. which piping kit should we use if we do buy an I/C off ebay?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yeah a number of guys have used the ebay intercooler kit....i was just asking b/c i can get an intercooler from a 6.0l van for $40 but they are different from the truck coolers and i would have to take my front sway bar out for clearance.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah a number of guys have used the ebay intercooler kit....i was just asking b/c i can get an intercooler from a 6.0l van for $40 but they are different from the truck coolers and i would have to take my front sway bar out for clearance.

I think I will definitely go the ebay route for an I/C but do any of guys know which intercooler works the best from ebay or which dimensions I should get for a good fit? Also which piping kit? I see R&D sells an intake with a 3" diameter angled hat on it too.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
For a daily driver that doesn't see towing and EGT's are not even close to being at a dangerous level, do you guys think it would be worth the time and effort to intercool only 5psi cuz that is what i run?

anybody installed a cooler either 7.3 factory cooler or 6.0l ...cooler in a 2wd truck, that front sway bar is gonna make it challenging.

After having spent the time and money on both... if you're not towing I can't see the value. If I were to do it all again; just go with an inexpensive water/**** system and keep the **** under 15%.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

anybody installed a cooler either 7.3 factory cooler or 6.0l cooler in a 2wd truck, that front sway bar is gonna make it challenging.

i wouldn't do it.
i think you should resolve the issue and get boost up to 8-10 psi at least first.fix whatever boost leak or issue going on there with the turbo first.
once your getting your 9-10 psi under load,then no.i still wouldn't add an intercooler if your not working the truck.
unless you then want to add a larger than stock ip or something just for fun,so you can burn more fuel,but if you do that,then imho you should first get away from the big 3 turbo kits and swap it out for something larger.the oem ip maxed out is just right for a big 3 turbo kit and correctly fitted fmic.

don't add such a large intercooler for a turbo kit making just 5 psi.you'll kill whatever performance you have now,and end up with a real laggy dog.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I'm using the intake hat that Russ makes on mine, its a nice piece. Spectre sells a "carb" hat that should fit ours but it exits slightly downward. Could be an issue.

Mine is getting a Frozenboost air/water FWIW. Not sure of many other options that fit the "wide" radiator

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going back through this thread, I have seen air to water intercoolers mentioned a couple times, but only the one install in the tech section. Do we have any reports on performance or reliablity? Would pushing the water through the unused trans cooler loop in the radiator help with capcity or just put more heat in the system? This seems like it could be a good solution as it removes a lot of the space and plumbing issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online