Let's Talk Intercoolers

Black dawg

Reaction score
i wouldn't do it.
i think you should resolve the issue and get boost up to 8-10 psi at least first.fix whatever boost leak or issue going on there with the turbo first.
once your getting your 9-10 psi under load,then no.i still wouldn't add an intercooler if your not working the truck.
unless you then want to add a larger than stock ip or something just for fun,so you can burn more fuel,but if you do that,then imho you should first get away from the big 3 turbo kits and swap it out for something larger.the oem ip maxed out is just right for a big 3 turbo kit and correctly fitted fmic.

don't add such a large intercooler for a turbo kit making just 5 psi.you'll kill whatever performance you have now,and end up with a real laggy dog.

I mostly agree, especially about getting that thing running right first. The thing that surprised me the most about my intercooler install, was how much power was increased at low to NO boost levels, and this is with a nongated kit with 3" intercooler tubing and a 6.0 cooler. THe wfo power increase was not nearly as dramatic as the 5psi and down power increase.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Going back through this thread, I have seen air to water intercoolers mentioned a couple times, but only the one install in the tech section. Do we have any reports on performance or reliablity? Would pushing the water through the unused trans cooler loop in the radiator help with capcity or just put more heat in the system? This seems like it could be a good solution as it removes a lot of the space and plumbing issues.

That is my truck in the tech section and it does work awesome. Somehow my ONE slightly negative comment became the focus of many who read it. I was pulling a 25+ mile long canyon on a 100 F day with my A/C on and a 5'er that scales 14K full, so I did see a little heat soak that day. Never happened since. The system will be going on my '57 project truck also.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm putting a water/air system on my rig and will do a write up once I get it done hopefully. I've got the air side done, just waiting on the water side.

I'm also eventually planning to put temp sensors on both the air and water inlet and outlet to see where exactly it heat soaks. Eventually anyway.....

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres some pics of my intercooler setup, im waiting on my intake hat to be welded cause it hits my turbo but itll be done shortly.
You must be registered for see images attach

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully these pics will work

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pretty much have the same intercooler but I tucked it lower behind the bumper and just used a hole saw so it would get airflow

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha no problem.. The hat part was finding somewhere that had the silicone hoses that were rated or that pressure.. It cost me more to buy the reducers than it did the intercooler and the piping

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Butch's speed shop has a great selection of silicone couplers. Not as cheap as online, but I don't remember them being $45 when I was in there a few weeks back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online

No members online now.