KansasIDI’s 1986 Ford F250HD 7.3L IDI

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So rather than welding up a brace, I just decided to have a guy who specializes in welding aluminum cut the old eyelets off and weld new ones on, and brace those to the case. I am not good at welding aluminum, I’ve never been trained to do it, and he is a pro, so I just decided to have him do it. He does very good work.

Also, got the 7.3 turbo pulled out of the gray truck today, after much procrastination. Hope to get it all cleaned up over the course of the next couple days, paint it, and put the new parts on. Then I will just be waiting on the ZF5 to be finished, and finding a transfer case. I think pretty much everything else will be good to go. Looking forward to having it running again. As you can see, my shop is very, very messy. I’m actually doing the motor swap in the machine storage shed, so that there is room in the nice shed for vehicles, since this swap is getting drawn out. I had suspected it would be… but I do wish that I had to clean the shop up better before I started. Now I just have this huge mess.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 10

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna do a body lift, 2 or 3”, and swap the rear springs from my 1990 cab and chassis. 14 leafs per side, will ride rough and sit up high but oh well. Want to get new springs for the front, and a Dana 60 instead of the Twin Traction Junko thingy. And new U joints for the front driveshaft. Seems easier to do this with the motor and stuff out… but might need the truck before I get all that done… we shall see…

Then much later I will patch the rust and repaint the truck.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read a bit. For the T/O bearing, make sure that the aluminum collar isn't worn down or galled. They make a sleeve kit to fix this if it is. As I recal, the LUK bearings have plastic ribs inside. They do run a little loose. Don't grease them when you install. Run em dry.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the back of the ZF-5 really have trouble supporting the transfer case weight? I've never seen one break, but I'm putting a 4407 on on the back, and it's pretty darn heavy. Not gonna jump the thing, but just want to know if under normal use you see this break or only when wheelin'?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the back of the ZF-5 really have trouble supporting the transfer case weight? I've never seen one break, but I'm putting a 4407 on on the back, and it's pretty darn heavy. Not gonna jump the thing, but just want to know if under normal use you see this break or only when wheelin'?
I don’t think it’s too much of an issue as long as your transmission mounting eyelets are in good shape. I think they break when people are taking them off and putting them on.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think they break when people are taking them off and putting them on.
Or maybe when you're using some force and A LOT of four letter words because someone used JB Weld to hold the transfer case to the back of the transmission?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or maybe when you're using some force and A LOT of four letter words because someone used JB Weld to hold the transfer case to the back of the transmission?
That may do it. Glad it was the 4 speed that had that going on and not the 5 speed, those 4 speeds being made of cast iron helps them not break. I don’t like aluminum. It’s too weak.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
those 4 speeds being made of cast iron helps them not break. I don’t like aluminum. It’s too weak.
I'm not going to argue with this thinking. I can understand it perfectly. All I'll say is that I've never seen a ZF5 broken at the back end. Maybe it's just dumb luck?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've had two broken at the back end. First one was a hairline crack across the top of the rear housing, we bought the truck that way and didn't know it was cracked until we did the clutch several years later. We just kept topping it off because it weeped oil.
Second one, the two ears for the crossmember bolts ripped out when my old man wrecked his truck.

We speculate that the first one had cracked because the lady we bought it from was a big rig mechanic in the middle of nowhere and used it to dislodge a semi from a snow bank once. Probably several clutch dumps and shock pulls. The transfer case did unload on us after we got it home from the 175 mile drive home.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not flashy big rig, more like a logging truck… or a farm rig that has been modified for frequent abuse
This post makes me think of this pickup.....

You must be registered for see images attach

I know it’s a chebby, but to me it just screams get the f$@k out of the way I’m here to do work!!

Vs all these rubber banded wide rim pickups these days :tool

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Help me understand.......

What would go through a person’s mind to think JB Weld was the right thing to use.....?
I don’t know… but I don’t care. It was a bad idea, don’t know why they did it… frustrating though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online