1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZF5 swap - Another throwout bearing question

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by BlindAmbition, Feb 25, 2021.

1. BlindAmbition

BlindAmbition Full Access Member

I did search through some threads, found some fairly old ones or ones not quite relating. Figured I'd repost and see what answers are available in 2021.

I purchased a Luk 07-225 clutch kit and the throwout bearing has a chip in the plastic from shipping. I couldn't find a number so I grabbed the old one that came with the used ZF5 I purchased and they aren't even of comparable quality. The old one is metal and feels significant compared to the Luk bearing. Looking through threads shows that the Luk ones are garbage.

When I looked up the number on the more substantial bearing - 614062 - it shows the same plastic garbage available. The one I have is all metal. The 614062 bearing has a much larger face.

What is the best bearing to get for the ZF5 with a SMF LUK conversion? Does it matter if they are plastic?

Old bearing - 614062, all metal, on left, from a ZF5 DMF
    New bearing from Luk on right, from 07-225 SMF kit

IMG_20210225_132912218.jpg IMG_20210225_134058698.jpg

New National 614062 - plastic bearing

81Cl51ZdykL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

See what a Timken shows. Use the application, not a part number.

3. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Sorry. You can't use the exact application since yours is a 1986. Try using something like 1989 for the year instead of 1986.

4. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well you made me curious so I looked it up. Looks plastic to me. Looked it up under my 91 F350

Screenshot_20210225-211345.png

5. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I guess I'm out of suggestions now.

6. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

7. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

It looks like plastic to me. It's hard to remember since it's been so long, but it seems like the replacement throw out bearings were plastic in the same place back in the late 90's. It really shouldn't matter all that much because it's just a sleeve that rides back and forth on the collar inside the bellhousing of the transmission. The real wear parts are where the bearing itself spins and contacts the pressure plate. These bearings are metal in those spots.

8. gnathv

gnathv Full Access Member

The picture chill man posted looks like metal insert with plastic over it.

9. BlindAmbition

BlindAmbition Full Access Member

Thanks for the input. It's odd because I have a metal bearing that weighs a good 3 times what this plastic one does and has a National number, but the exact same replacement number is plastic.

Ordered the National 614062, I don't even want to try this Luk kit bearing after seeing how much more robust the old one is.

10. cre1992

cre1992 Full Access Member

I just put a 12 1/4" clutch from NAPA in my truck. It was a last minute decision to change the clutch while we were putting everything back together. The throw out bearing I got in the kit was all metal. The one that came out of the truck was plastic.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  11. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

These are known to not be of the best quality these days. It is recommended to put some better ones in before installing the clutch. It goes for both the throw out bearing and the pilot bearing. I have a pair of Timken bearings to put in with mine.

12. ih8minimumwage

ih8minimumwage Full Access Member

I just did the same swap and used the included throwout bearing. No issues so far.

Had to sleeve kit the end and use the oversized pilot bearing from that kit. Also had to clean up the input shaft from the failed old throwout bearing damage (all metal). I think that might be why they switched to the plastic parts.

13. cozinsky

cozinsky Full Access Member

I put the Luk kit in mine and tossed the junk bearing that came with it. I replaced it with a Timken and no issues so far.

IDIBRONCO likes this.