KansasIDI’s 1986 Ford F250HD 7.3L IDI

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you can see, it sits up above the mounting ear. It will probably require a pretty long bolt, but I think it’ll work.
At least I think it goes there. The bolts between the two halves of the case were missing where I mounted that bracket

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I am starting to think that bracket is for a 2WD ZF5 with a broken ear. It seems to fit that much better… although I could just build a bracket to go on my 4WD ZF5… one that fits much better…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll just weld up my own bracket tomorrow. This one is most definitely for a 2WD ZF5. I suppose if anyone else needs one of these, I would be happy to make one to sell, cost of materials, plus shipping, and $20. Gotta find out what materials will cost tomorrow, but it won’t be much

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with making them for other people is that I would have to have the transmission out of the truck. So I guess I had better make three of them, two for the passenger side, and one for the driver side. I think I will paint them a different color, something less common than red. Maybe a bright orange. Depending on whether or not the CAD computer is in use tomorrow, then I might be able to just make it on that and save the drawing.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tail housing must have been busted at one point, it has welds on it currently. They aren’t cracked though…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can't say whether or not it's a bad idea, but I've been running without those in my Blue Truck for about 9 years now. I will put them back in someday just for piece of mind.
Just to add a little bit more to this. I also am not very ******* my trucks. That may make a difference too.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what would be involved in putting an automatic from a class 7 or 8 would entail… something like an Allison 3700, a seven speed. Man I love how those shift, they can be had with a standalone controller, that needs input from a TPS, and SAE 2 bellhousings are out there… which I believe is the true bolt pattern on an IDI… a heavy duty Allison and a divorced NP205… now THAT, would be the ticket, albeit a very very expensive one, but longlasting.

Doesn’t @Noiseydiesel have an Allison 1000 or 2000 series behind an IDI?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What seems more realistic is a TPS controlling pre injection pump pressure by way of a regulator that could be electronically adjusted. My understanding is that this would adjust timing, don’t know what could be done with that. Might be a useless idea.

On a side note, I noticed @Thewespaul now has 5 year unlimited mile warranties on his new injection pumps. Wow. Never seen such a good warranty on a part, or an entire vehicle for that matter. Think it is one year with a Moose pump, which is what I have waiting in the shelf

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The LUK throwout bearing seems very loose on the collar. I think that it is so loose that it would rattle. Is there some other throwout bearing that works better? There are threads out there but all the parts in the links are obsolete or unavailable. Not finding much online either… hope someone here knows just what to do.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US