KansasIDI’s 1986 Ford F250HD 7.3L IDI

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And my transfer case has a crack in it. I guess now I need a 1345 transfer case. Willing to trade a 1356 and a 4407 for one

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@KansasIDI I feel you. I'm still finding oddities from the previous owner on mine. Best so far is the cap from a highlighter wrapped in tape that was stuffed in the oil return grommet because he took the turbo off before selling it. Also, I got my RnD pump delivered yesterday, USPS delayed it a day. Should see yours any day now, check your email for a tracking number.
I guess I’m not doing it the best way either. After all, I’m the moron who wrapped his heater core in leather.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel rails from R and D showed up yesterday. Hope to have studs in my possession tomorrow

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so minty… crack actually goes around to make a hole with the chunk still there… big sad…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 10

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but can a guy get away with not having the top braces on his transmission crossmember? It appears that the T19 one is the same as the ZF5/C6 one, just mounted in a set of holes that is about an inch and a half closer to the front of the truck, further forward. However, I would have to drill holes in the top of my frame in order to use the braces.

If going without the crossmember braces is a very bad idea, does anyone have any that they could sell me? Unless the crossmember braces from a 2WD ZF5 truck will work? Because I have one that is the donor for the 7.3 turbo motor. Kind of thinking out loud here, I’ll look at my 2WD crossmember and see if the braces will work

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can't say whether or not it's a bad idea, but I've been running without those in my Blue Truck for about 9 years now. I will put them back in someday just for piece of mind.
Although it wasn't JB Weld, when I was switching the 4 speed out for the ZF5 that's in my Blue Truck now, the transfer case was stuck on with so much RTV that I had to hit the output housing with a dead blow to break it loose. Then I was just barely able to duck out of the way before the flood of 80w/90 came crashing down. It was close enough to land on my shoulder, but not my face. I have to assume that the entire transmission output housing was filled with the stuff. I also have to assume that there's still a big stain in that driveway from all of the gear lube that fell down there. I have no idea since I no longer own that property.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but can a guy get away with not having the top braces on his transmission crossmember? It appears that the T19 one is the same as the ZF5/C6 one, just mounted in a set of holes that is about an inch and a half closer to the front of the truck, further forward. However, I would have to drill holes in the top of my frame in order to use the braces.

If going without the crossmember braces is a very bad idea, does anyone have any that they could sell me? Unless the crossmember braces from a 2WD ZF5 truck will work? Because I have one that is the donor for the 7.3 turbo motor. Kind of thinking out loud here, I’ll look at my 2WD crossmember and see if the braces will work
It appears that a 2WD ZF5 truck uses the same crossmember, mounting location as a 4WD T19 truck. Welllll darn…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say whether or not it's a bad idea, but I've been running without those in my Blue Truck for about 9 years now. I will put them back in someday just for piece of mind.
It does not appear that the T19 ones will work with a ZF5…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooo… I have this… thing… It was attached to my four-wheel-drive ZF5 before my friend rebuilt it, but neither of us can remember how it goes on, or what it is for, or anything about it. It appears homemade. I kinda wanna put it back where it was before the transmission got rebuilt, but neither of us could remember where it goes…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured out what it is. It is a brace that bolts to the case and goes where one of the mounting ears is broken. I sent a picture, but it said it was awaiting moderator approval. Probably because of its shape, and it’s in my hand in the picture. Lol. I will send a picture of it on the transmission in a moment.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you can see, it sits up above the mounting ear. It will probably require a pretty long bolt, but I think it’ll work.

Attachments

• IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 14

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears that I will have to attach the transmission mount to the transmission before installing it in the truck. That doesn’t seem like a big deal, I plan to install the engine and transmission at the same time, and the transfer case afterwards. Er, whichever transfer case I find that works. Probably should not use the original one since it has a hole in it. Although it has already has JB Weld on it. As you can see, that is a fix all. I should just JB Weld the chunk back to the hole. That sounds like something that a Chrysler engineer would do. Even I’m not that low.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than using that brace, maybe I should just get a longer bolt and put a big washer and a nut on top of that broken ear. The brace looks like it would give better support, but might be a pain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online