KansasIDI’s 1986 Ford F250HD 7.3L IDI

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I am sure the Greatest Generation and their kids said that about us when we put wide tires on our Novas and Mustangs and then had to get air shocks to raise the back for clearance and then deal with screwed up front end alignment...then air fresheners and fuzzy dice and d i n g l e b e r r i e s hanging from the headliner...shag carpet on the dash... chrome 'feet' brake and gas pedals...Hurst shifter grips...chrome tips on the duals...aluminum sidepipe covers...

You get the idea...
This all sounded pretty cool until I got to the part about the shag carpet. I've never liked that stuff as far as I can rememeber.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This all sounded pretty cool until I got to the part about the shag carpet. I've never liked that stuff as far as I can rememeber.
crap....I overextended myself....somehow, sometimes...I just go a little too far...

Shall I clean it up for ya...?..help me out here...I am at a loss...what do you remember that you might have been tempted to do in your youth that would have had your elders shaking their heads and wondering where they went wrong...??

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
.what do you remember that you might have been tempted to do in your youth that would have had your elders shaking their heads and wondering where they went wrong...??
Everything else sounded pretty spot on. I didn't have the money to do any of that stuff or a car worthy of doing it to, but BOY did I want to anyway!
I remember that traction bars were considered cool to have whether or not you needed them. Most of us who knew anything at all about cars wanted to put a pair on our cars. Me included. One trick that a friend of mine showed me (as far as I know ne was the only one who had one until I did it a few years later) was to install a smoke screen in your car or truck. Just rig up some lines with a shut off valve to draw ATF out of a bottle and into your intake. I did that on a car and a couple of trucks. It's better to have wore out mufflers when you do that. Otherwise the ATF stays in your mufflers for a LONG time. I pretty well quit doing that when the price of a quart of ATF got to over $3. I may have to do that to my Red Truck one of these days though. It's about time to bring that little trick back again.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
traction bars were considered cool to have whether or not you needed them.
I'll have to look through my 'memories' pile and see if I can rustle up a pair of yellow Lakewoods...I had forgotten about that...I went and put on a pair of 'Mr. Gasket' slapper bars on my car...but it was never run with them...got busy with other stuff and never put it back together again after having the firewall repaired from a clutch explosion...

I was up in Connecticut one time and visited the factory in Guilford...can't remember the name of the company...they built performance add-ons...it was neat to see how the stuff was fabbed up.

Frame connectors and traction bars stacked up pretty high and Mig welding stations lined up...the shop manager was pretty gracious...I just walked in and asked for a tour... clean facility...
install a smoke screen in your car or truck.
Is that for running moonshine....? or to cut down on mosquitoes...? or to act like James Bond..? It sounds cool but I would hate to be behind you...The Spy Museum in D.C. has a James Bond car display with a pop-up piece of armament... might have a smoke screen thing on the back, as well...
I didn't have the money to do any of that stuff or a car worthy of doing it to,
I worked for a guy that had a couple of transmission shops ( not with us any longer...cancer...) and he showed me some pics of a Ford F-100...1965...that he had put a 460 and C-6 combo in and ran it at the track...I believe he had run a 4.11 gear...in the 9-inch rear...it was pretty stout from the looks of it...

The reason I bring it up is it does not have to be a car...trucks go fast, as well....I was at the track one time and a guy from PA. had a Ford truck with a 400 engine...must have been turboed...that outran me...

I was shocked...that heavy thing ran either high 11's or low 12's...

Sure did not look like it...

I guess the point of all of this is....American ingenuity abounds...a lot of times in the form of youthful enthusiasm...what the Elders that Wonder are not getting from all of it is that all of these modifications and innovations are the stuff of Invention...it stretches young minds to be creative and crafty...and that can be a Good Thing...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is that for running moonshine....? or to cut down on mosquitoes...? or to act like James Bond..?
For me, it was mostly to be obnoxious. It was fun to pull up to a stop sign with a friend behind me and smoke out the intersection so that they'd have to sit there until the smoke cleared. Especially at night.
It sounds cool but I would hate to be behind you...
You know, it did work good for a couple of tailgaters. In those days, I was living about 120 miles away from home and going back to visit often on the weekends. I was young and dumb enough to not wan to to leave and go back to where I was living on Sunday so I'd get up[ extra early on Monday morning and drive back into work from where I grew up. I traveled two different routes and both of those had one particular driver who was out at the same time as I was. The kind that would be driving about 5 MPG faster than I was, but would rather try to climb into my trunk than to pass me. They would do that for miles. Both of them gave up that habit pretty quickly after a healthy smokes how out of my exhaust.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kind that would be driving about 5 MPG faster than I was, but would rather try to climb into my trunk than to pass me. They would do that for miles.
I have dealt with some of those. I have a setup on my 99 f350. When I bought the used flatbed for it there weren't any tail lights in it, so I decided since I had to buy all of them that I would go straight to all led. It was already cutout for 3 5" round grommet mount lights on each side, the 2 stage red lights were easy to source locally. The clear led in that size turned out to be quite elusive. After several weeks of searching locally I had my wife order a couple off Amazon.

When I went to install them I realized they were a 2 stage just like the tail lights, so I hooked up the low stage for normal backup light function. Then I installed a switch to activate the second stage.

It is amazing how fast a vehicle will slam on the brakes when their riding your *** at highway speeds and the reverse lights come on.

James

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have dealt with some of those. I have a setup on my 99 f350. When I bought the used flatbed for it there weren't any tail lights in it, so I decided since I had to buy all of them that I would go straight to all led. It was already cutout for 3 5" round grommet mount lights on each side, the 2 stage red lights were easy to source locally. The clear led in that size turned out to be quite elusive. After several weeks of searching locally I had my wife order a couple off Amazon.

When I went to install them I realized they were a 2 stage just like the tail lights, so I hooked up the low stage for normal backup light function. Then I installed a switch to activate the second stage.

It is amazing how fast a vehicle will slam on the brakes when their riding your *** at highway speeds and the reverse lights come on.

James
I do this with my Dodge

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Main girdle and studs are entirely unnecessary for my low power levels I assume?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to make a bigger downpipe? I understand that Hypermax up pipes are not very big, but have heard that the downpipe is too small. Would like to make it 3.5”, is currently 3”

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just cut off the 3” from the flange, grind out, and weld 3.5” on?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Main girdle and studs are entirely unnecessary for my low power levels I assume?
Yes. They're not needed for the VAST majority of us. As in probably 99%+ of us.
I understand that Hypermax up pipes are not very big,
I don't know if any of the up pipes are very big. It's part of the turbocharging theory. Technically, the exhaust in up pipes is still "under pressure". It's still being "pushed" by the engine. The smaller diameter up pipes creates faster flow into the turbo and that's what spools up the turbo, giving you boost. Bigger up pipes will make a turbo spool up slower and, quite possibly, give you less boost overall. Maybe, if you had an engine that was putting out insane amounts of power, bigger up pipes would give more boost.
Now the exhaust the down pipe, on the other hand, is basically "flowing" It's not "under pressure" (it turns the turbo, not the other way around) and it's already done it's work so you just want to get rid of it as quickly as possible. That's why the bigger down pipe is an advantage IF you have enough exhaust flowing through the smaller one to cause a restriction. Flow Vs. pressure. They are related, but different. A lot of people don't really know the differences.
Just cut off the 3” from the flange, grind out, and weld 3.5” on?
Basically, yes.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, it was mostly to be obnoxious. It was fun to pull up to a stop sign with a friend behind me and smoke out the intersection so that they'd have to sit there until the smoke cleared. Especially at night.

You know, it did work good for a couple of tailgaters. In those days, I was living about 120 miles away from home and going back to visit often on the weekends. I was young and dumb enough to not wan to to leave and go back to where I was living on Sunday so I'd get up[ extra early on Monday morning and drive back into work from where I grew up. I traveled two different routes and both of those had one particular driver who was out at the same time as I was. The kind that would be driving about 5 MPG faster than I was, but would rather try to climb into my trunk than to pass me. They would do that for miles. Both of them gave up that habit pretty quickly after a healthy smokes how out of my exhaust.

Diesel Fuel smokes petty good also, not as oily as ATF.
One time when we were patching the highway, we had this, what we called the "Walk behind roller". 2 rollers about 1 1/2 ft wide to 2 ft. Small tank of water, forward and reverse trans with vibration. Engine looked like a Briggs and Stratton, but unit was made in Germany. Dribbled Water on the Rollers so the Asphalt didn`t stick to them. Once in a while we would run out of water, and then sprayed on Diesel from a Hudson sprayer.
Hit the hot Muffler accidently and man would it smoke up the work area.

Always thought about hooking up a small pump to inject Diesel into the hot manifolds, or maybe just behind the turbo.

Airplanes at an Air Show inject an oil called Orvis as I remember, Inviro friendly, but probably pricier than Diesel.

Goat

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered ARP studs from R and D, a head gasket set and coolant reservoir from Classic Diesel Design.

Parts so far

Injection pump and e pump conversion from Moose Diesel

Studs and return rails from R and D

All sorts of odds and ends from CDD

Injectors, fuel filters, and other misc from Russrepair.

Parts from Hypermax.

I’m just afraid that now it’ll be too good of a motor for no more power than its making. Maybe I’ll need to get an intercooler and send off the turbo to have it upgraded, and turn the pump up. That’s about another 2-3k. This never ends does it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle