Just back from the machine shop, Pics!

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
typ4:
Sorry some how I missed your post, you beat me to it... I gotta read a little more carefully
Todd

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redundancy on a matter this important is not an issue., Also the flat sides of the rods go together,the chamfer has to go to the crank for the fillet radii.

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Redundancy on a matter this important is not an issue., Also the flat sides of the rods go together,the chamfer has to go to the crank for the fillet radii.

I will bring this up as well. Thank god for you guys, I don't know what would have happened if I assembled it this way, but didn't want to find out.

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put mine back together I didn't think that there was an orientation to the rods. What happens if they are in wrong?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh that must suck, not knowing if they are in right or not. :confused:

Get an oil sample off to Blackstone labs. If they are wearing on the crank badly, they will tell you.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score

Thank you, I couldn't find my manual but I knew there was a right way and a wrong way.

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of one installed. If you look up at the pin end of the rod, inside the base of the piston, you can see the rectangular area of the rod facing out. That's how I am keeping track of which side is which.
Thanks Typ4 for the explanation...

BTW just ignore that hairline crack in the crank between the rod journal and the main journal on the right...:eek:
Those of you going to the rally will see what that looked like after I pulled the crank... (thanks to Mel)
Todd

Attachments

• IMG_3009.JPG
    IMG_3009.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 56

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, kust left the shop and showed him the picture. He admitted his mistake and told me to bring it back. If they messed this up, how do I know the rest of the motor is correct? Also, I bought the ARP studs, they should be here in about 5 days.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure they didnt really mess up, you have to realize many more chevy diesels need work that IDI,s and that is what they are used to fixing.:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting, the machinist that did my work made a similar comment about the chevy diesels...LOL

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
2 stories. 1. the machine shop i go to the guy is VERY negative and is picky about what motors he likes, he said he likes the 6.9 alot, the 7.3 he said usually needs boring and sleeving when rebuilt, so that was very pleasing to hear! ;Sweet

2. we had a mid '90s chebby dually 6.5 knocker come in when i worked at the dealer that was knocking louder than usual, the motor was worn out bad, someone used soda cans to shim the bearings up..... :rotflmao we had it rebuilt, 6 months later it was towed in, the crank snapped. :rotflmao:rotflmao;Sweet GM quality right there.

-Jon