Starter mixed up at rebuild shop? Won't go in.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused by a starter for my 2003 F350 7.3 - Here is some background about why I'm confused.

I read in this thread FTE that they all are interchangeable, which is what I had always thought. Then I read in this big thread FTE Y2K guy that the early OE starters are desirable. I took note.

So when the 3-bolt starter failed in my E99 F550, I assumed it was OE (don't know for sure, PO is dead). I sent it for rebuild, and kept it on the shelf for a couple of years. I replaced it with a starter from a rusty low-miles 2000 Lariat LE parts truck from the state of Misery, which is still going strong. It looks like OE btw. All trucks involved here are 4R100 trans.

My favorite hot shot dually is a 2003 Lariat FX4 cclb with leather and all. Very comfy. Its 2-bolt starter has always sounded like crap since I bought the truck. It finally failed in this cold snap and I tried to swap in the 3-bolt rebuilt I had on the shelf from my E99.

I've found that some starters are a bit bigger, and harder to wiggle into place. I know that the dreaded 3rd hole has unleashed many words one won't find in the Bible. But that 99 starter just won't go in the 03. We put them side by side on the bench (see pics) and clearly the rebuilt 99 has a longer nose. It's in direct contact with the flex plate so won't mate with the bellhousing. It's not a problem with the bolts, or diameter of the nose area. The rebuilt 99 starter is too long in the nose. See pics below.

So I just slid down the icy roads and picked up a NAPA 2-bolt reman (# 244-9296), which matches what came out of the 2003. I'll bolt it in once the shop warms up.

I looked on Rockauto and there is only one 3-bolt starter for sale, called a Motorcraft OE Design (# SA1177). See pic, its nose is short, like the one that fits my 03. I didn't see any other long nose starters in Rockauto pics.

Perhaps the rebuild shop mixed up my starter with another. Now I'm left wondering what motor this 3-bolt rebuilt OE fits? I don't believe 2-vs-3-bolt is the issue here. It's the nose length. What do you guys think?

You must be registered for see images attach