Just back from the machine shop, Pics!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Looks sweet! If memory serves, it was the 83-85 6.9 blocks that had the issue with the cracking. I've plugged my 87 in lots of times, with no issues at all.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stud it. They are basically the same price and you get much more piece of mind that your headgaskets will stay put.

Heath

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears to me that those pistons are installed the wrong way. Like maybe someone thought they were working on a 6.5 with the prechamber on the exh side not the intake side.

Last edited:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
the studs are only a little bit more, get them. ;Sweet looks great, man that reminds me of when i brought my 6.9 back from the shop, it shure was purdy!! ;p

-Jon

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sure the piston's are installed the correct way, they look like they are a 180* wrong. Better check it out or kiss that engine goodbye.

I see Big Diesel see's the same thing, after reading all the post's.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are right those pistons are in wrong, the cutout goes to the camside and it should say it on the piston.

Here is a pic of how they go.

Attachments

• Picture 057.jpg
    Picture 057.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 63

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man that's great to know. You'd hope a machine shop would know better, but you best trust Russ and OldBull machine shops have been known to mess up a block here and there, and usually it's something elementary like that.

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it say on the side of the piston? I looked at the underside of them and it just has part numbers, no arrow or any indication for piston alighnment. I'm going back to the machine shop today to see if they know anything. Oh, and the pistons protrude above the deck a little to, is this normal?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Since the pistons are in wrong better double check that the rods are in right as well. I do believe that the tapered side of the rod should face the other rod and the vertical side faces the block.

I'll double check though.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without this board, your fresh engine would be toast and you'd be in court!

:hail :hail :hail :hail

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it, but yes they are upside-down see my picture below of my 7.3 when tearing it apart. I know its a 7.3 but the pistons should be oriented in the same direction. Check on yours, mine have an arrow and are marked "Cam Side" pointing toward the center of the block.

Attachments

• IMG_3044.JPG
    IMG_3044.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 28