Junkyard motor

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today as I was browsing through my local junkyard I came across a 1991 f350 2wd with a idi in it. So I started investigating it and found a jasper sticker on the valve cover but couldn't read the date on it. I'm not sure if it is a 6.9 or 7.3. Whats the most you would pay for this? The junkyard didn't know anything about it. It was a company truck and was junked for the rot of the body i am assuming since there is no floor pans left or cab corners. I went ahead and yanked off the IP and injector lines. I looked at the glow plugs but they all were autolite's. I'm thinking about going back and grabbing the injectors. What would you guys pay for something like this if it turns over by hand when I pull the injectors out? Also has a 5 speed attatched to it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Well today as I was browsing through my local junkyard I came across a 1991 f350 2wd with a idi in it. So I started investigating it and found a jasper sticker on the valve cover but couldn't read the date on it. I'm not sure if it is a 6.9 or 7.3. Whats the most you would pay for this? The junkyard didn't know anything about it. It was a company truck and was junked for the rot of the body i am assuming since there is no floor pans left or cab corners. I went ahead and yanked off the IP and injector lines. I looked at the glow plugs but they all were autolite's. I'm thinking about going back and grabbing the injectors. What would you guys pay for something like this if it turns over by hand when I pull the injectors out? Also has a 5 speed attatched to it.

i dont think i would pay much more than 300 for it but thats me, if you want to know if its 6.9 or 7.3 then just take a 7/16 and 1/2inch 12oint socket and see which one fits,
if7/6 its a 6.9
if1/2 its a 7.3

Exekiel69

Reaction score
JY engine, it all depends who You talk to. I would offer $400 for the engine and tranny (with no history) if the engine turns and the shifter shifts through all the gears.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well I can say that a member here bought a truck that had a JY motor installed in it and never was able to get it run. After exhausting all of our help, it was given up on and sold to another member.

I have the pleasure now of finding the cause of said motor and from preliminary results, the motor is toast.

Compression numbers were terrible!!
One cylider @ 300, 1 @ 240, 1@ 220 and the rest were below 160 psi.

Oh yeah 2 were @ 0 psi!!!!

Side by side on a 6.9! Hmmm can you say head gasket failure and hydrolocked cylinders????

Trying to start the motor a distinctive click......click was heard and matched rotating assembly speed. Hmmmm....

Gonna be curious to see how much of this motor has recycled itself into the oil pan.:dunno

So if you trust the JY and they have a decent return policy it's all up to known mileage for a cost, if not, it's your money you're gambling.

Not to discourage anyone from snagging a JY motor as there are some deals still to be found.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'll go back and try to turn it over by hand and see what it sounds like. I think the junk yard will sell it as a core block since nothing is known about it. Its just a small private owned JY that is not into srewing people. I fish with couple of the guys that work there. I took the cover off the ip and its still full of diesel and turns by hand. The motor its self looked pretty clean as far as no oil leaks or fuel leaks. I was thinking more like $100 to $150 with no info on it. I'll see what they say tomorrow. Dyoung are you talking about the balancer bolt on the crank? I can get a price on the 5 speed too but I do not need it but if someone is interested in it I can see how much for it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Head bolt size socket for the 6.9 is 7/16... For the 7.3 its 1/2 inch socket. Clean off the block serial numbers found just to the drivers side of the injection pump gear cover. It will have either 6.9 or 7.3 stamped in the number chain.