Making a junkyard parts run for the 86 F250

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Iam 78 and still work on them, along with other things.
I don`t feel like Iam too old, old age is some where down the road.
It hit me one day, ya know, Iam the age of old people now...
yikes, when did that happen?

Some time the PNP type yards will have 1/2 off sales on all parts or just select parts.
Our PNP will have Hoods, Bumpers, Doors and Fenders for $25. Pull the whole complete Door with Hinges. That is a good deal, normally they are $60.

So when grabbing parts off the 86 in the yard,
Pull fenders, Doors, Core support, if not rusted out.
Instrument cluster, windshield trim, Hood, and cowel vent off a 87 or later as they don`t have the slots for air intake like the 80 - 86. Keeps the debris out.
Sun Visors. If a 4-spd trans, grab the Peddle assy. Bracket from under the dash. Steering column.
Save every nut, bolt, clip and screw in zip lock bags.

I lost a screw for my window winder crank. next time I was in the yards, I grabbed every screw I could find, and a few cranks if in good condition.
The inside door handle on the older trucks is steel/chrome, not plastic.

Look under the trucks, last Oct (21) I pulled a 73 out of a 89 that was totaled, never touched the engine. (195K)
Looked under it and it had a gear vendor OD. Never know what golden nugget you will find.

Finding Bull Noses in good condition is a crap shoot, most are rode hard.
X2 on Gloves and Safety Glasses.
Walmart has a 3 pack of these gloves that are rubber with the nylon knit backs. They are around $3. dang things really hold up. Use them for everything.
HF has them for $2.49 a pair and are total junk.

I agree, spending all day in a JY is therapy for me.

Goat

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@Brian VT the drive in getting that satisfaction of fixing your own stuff is what made me so frugal and into the career I work now. Yeah it sucks sometimes when I have to tell people they need a $25k overhaul, but you know what? Big trucks means big bucks.
The only thing I won't do myself on my own vehicle's is mounting tires and alignments. Bumper to bumper past that? You bet that's all me.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys it’s been a productive day. We had a lot of fun at the junkyard picking up a hood, chrome tabs, and I think what is the real find, these wind deflector rain guards!
You must be registered for see images attach

The rain guards are in decent condition but need some cleaning up and TLC. One thing that’s interesting is all of the cancer that’s started on the door from either the PO/manufacturer using machine screws to mount this around the window. i guess the 3M double sided sticky tape wasn’t a thing back then!

The hood that I picked up is in great condition, there isn’t a speck of rust on the underside or around any welds, bends, rolls or joins. Before too much longer I’ll get out there and clean the rust and hit that with the primer too in order to stop the rust from progressing.

i also found a captains chair from an E350 - it’s pretty comfy.

I picked up the missing top chrome grille tab piece for my truck but I Ran out of Photos for this post and you already know what that looks like

Last but not least I found these awesome 1980 Ford Pinto switch controls. Full metal body, confident lock up and actuation. Durable and tough.

The Lights and Wiper Switch from the Pinto felt very well made and surprisingly high quality and then I thought back to the plastic feel of our controls. Then I imaged how much better these would feel over the comparatively plastic feel of the 80-86 switches. I felt like it would be an appreciated attention to detail.
I don’t know, you just had to feel it. I feel changed.

but I didn’t have the special tool to get these out and my flat head and hammer trick to spin the clips either wasn’t working for the Lights and stopped spinning all together for the Wiper Washer. I tried but ran out of time to finish the job and left behind a pretty sloppy job ☹️ with little payoff.

Attachments

• 0FF8C515-CD4A-4124-878D-1C5F1D4EFC78.jpeg
    0FF8C515-CD4A-4124-878D-1C5F1D4EFC78.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and I saw one of them new Rotary engines

hahaha, I’ll catch up on messages later on. I’ve read them all so far and thanks for all of the advice and stories that you guys have shared

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great haul.

One thing on the doors. there is a difference with the Door Glass and Wing Glass between the early and later trucks.

The 86 Wing is a triangle shape.
The 93 for instance, the Wing has the pointed end chopped off to clear the redesigned dash.

I have several sets of the early doors and one of a 93 250 and 95 150.

I ordered from Bronco Grave Yard the window channel, Window Wipes, Wing Glass rubbers etc... for a 86, and a year later ordered again for the 93. (forgot I already had the prior stuff along with new door panels)

Early spring I was replacing all this stuff on my 86.
When I was trying to snap in the Widow Wipe, none of the clips lined up with the holes in the door.
I thought the damn Chinamen can`t even get this right.

Long story short, when they changed the Wing Window, Ford moved the vertical window post back, they also narrowed the Door Window some.
I figured this out when I opened up the other box of parts to see if the Window Wipes would work, kind of thinking at the time they were made wrong. They fit perfectly.

Just thought I would throw this out there.

Goat

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES, entire trucks......get a couple ENTIRE TRUCKS!!! They quit making these trucks in 1986, for some dumb reason, and during a previous presidential administration they had a "cash for clunkers" program that made them more scarce than ever. Get you a few whole trucks!!!!

Edit.....SAVE THE BRONCOS!!!!, Forget the blue spotted, red testicled toad, save a Bull nose BRONCO!!!
couldn’t agree with you more - I’d like to drag every truck that I could home. Unfortunately I have no place to put them or a way to get them home They had 4 of the 1980-96 picks ups there and most we picked pretty clean through.

I didn’t see any of the trucks there equipped with cruise control but now that I know it’s desired I’ll keep an eye out for those.

My buddy has a 1980 Bronco I6 with the T19 that was passed down from has dad. That bronco has been in the family since day one!

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES, entire trucks......get a couple ENTIRE TRUCKS!!! They quit making these trucks in 1986, for some dumb reason, and during a previous presidential administration they had a "cash for clunkers" program that made them more scarce than ever. Get you a few whole trucks!!!!

Edit.....SAVE THE BRONCOS!!!!, Forget the blue spotted, red testicled toad, save a Bull nose BRONCO!!!
That “cash for clunkers” program was the worst thing that could’ve ever happened to the supply of these trucks. It infuriated me then and it still makes me mad now.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that he'd want to do any work on a Bull Nose truck anyway. Most (not all) young people don't these days.

People in general don’t want to work on their vehicles or appliances or anything these days.

Our throw it away and get a new one consumer culture promotes this and the anti right-to-repair bills Congress is trying to push through. Why fix it when you can spend more $$$ to replace it, it’s a no brainer … yeah, right.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...I ain't young so I REALLY don't want to work on my vehicles.
But...it REALLY ****** me off when I can't work on them if I want to save the time and $ of sending it to a shop.
That's why I bought the '87 F-250 and the '85 Benz and sold the modern SUV.

I have to keep reminding my self of this when my knuckles are bleeding and I have grit in my ears and eyeballs. lol
I’ve told my wife that if I can’t fix it then we aren’t buying it (for cars, appliances, etc). I’ve been wrenching on my vehicles for over 10 years and the only time my vehicles have gone to the shop is for an inspection sticker or alignment.

Professionals are called professionals because they get paid to do it. I always go behind a service and double check their work, and I often finds corners being cut that I know that I wouldn’t take had I done it myself. And if I don’t know, I ask someone who does.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great haul.

One thing on the doors. there is a difference with the Door Glass and Wing Glass between the early and later trucks.

The 86 Wing is a triangle shape.
The 93 for instance, the Wing has the pointed end chopped off to clear the redesigned dash.

I have several sets of the early doors and one of a 93 250 and 95 150.

I ordered from Bronco Grave Yard the window channel, Window Wipes, Wing Glass rubbers etc... for a 86, and a year later ordered again for the 93. (forgot I already had the prior stuff along with new door panels)

Early spring I was replacing all this stuff on my 86.
When I was trying to snap in the Widow Wipe, none of the clips lined up with the holes in the door.
I thought the damn Chinamen can`t even get this right.

Long story short, when they changed the Wing Window, Ford moved the vertical window post back, they also narrowed the Door Window some.
I figured this out when I opened up the other box of parts to see if the Window Wipes would work, kind of thinking at the time they were made wrong. They fit perfectly.

Just thought I would throw this out there.

Goat
That’s a good piece of detail there so thanks for sharing. I haven’t decided the best way to approach mounting this rain guard. I could either replace all of the window rubber and clip the lip of the guard into the rubber, or I could 3M it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
But there's some good satisfaction (and $ savings) from doing it yourself and not being dependent on someone else to keep you going. Even though I could probably afford to pay someone.
I'm afraid our society is loosing touch with that. :-(
I can't agree with this more. It kind of goes along with something that I noticed back in about '06/'07. (Most) people don't even roll down their windows anymore. If it's over 70, they have the A/C going. If it's under 65 or so, they gave the heater on. Cabin air filter? What the "F" is that? And why do you think you need one?
She changes her own oil and knows how to change a tire on the side of the road in the dark.
That's not much more than my dad taught me to do. He taught me to change a flat, check the fluids (under the hood), change an air filter, change the oil, and grease the front end. After that, he said "well I've taught you all that I know about cars." I was flabbergasted and VERY disappointed. Is it any wonder that I had such respect for a friend's dad who rebuilt engines in their garage?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Dad didn't even know that much. And we had very few tools.
I still have no idea how I managed to sucessfully put new piston rings in my dirtbike when I was like 13 yrs. old. I'm sure that the few tools he did have were all SAE. lol
I still have that little bike and it still runs. ;-)