Junkyard IDI find... What to take?

npe3484

Reaction score
There's an F250 with the IDI diesel engine in it at my local junkyard. I don't know what year it is or if it has the 6.9/7.3. What are some common parts that will end up needing to be replaced on my `88 F250? I know the injectors, IP, and other wear items would be best replaced with off-the-shelf parts.

What would be some good parts to snag off this truck?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's an F250 with the IDI diesel engine in it at my local junkyard. I don't know what year it is or if it has the 6.9/7.3. What are some common parts that will end up needing to be replaced on my `88 F250? I know the injectors, IP, and other wear items would be best replaced with off-the-shelf parts.

What would be some good parts to snag off this truck?

Cruise control stuff. Tach sensor.

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The screen covering the the intake. If you're willing, I really need one and ford wants $50 for it.

Thanks,

MoMo

npe3484

Reaction score
I'm heading back to the yard tomorrow morning and I'll look for all the stuff you guys have listed.

They wont sell me the whole truck, otherwise I would probably do that.

npe3484

Reaction score
I went to the junkyard today and managed to get a few parts off of the truck. Turns out that it's an `87 F250 that was used as a plow truck. They were running the red offroad diesel in it :idiot: Who knows, maybe they didn't drive it on the street.

Anyway, I was able to pull the fuel filter head, 5 injectors, 5 or 6 of the injector caps, the intake screen, power steering pump (broke the nipple off the bottom :mad:), 2 random sensors that were easy to get to, and driver's side mirror.

The injection pump and lines were already gone, as was the glow plug system. The front tank had been removed and gutted but the rear was still there.

Are the used injectors worth anything? Worth keeping around as spares?

smooth, let me know if you want the intake screen.