IP screw wont turn!

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive tried this twice. i want to turn up my pump but the darn screw just wont turn no matter how hard i turn. it just wont go. any ideas? anybody ever had this problem?? help!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well for one, why do you want it turned up? *cue turn down for what music* lol
They're actually pretty hard to turn. Need a quality wrench that won't break, then a cheater.
Could already be turned in all the way.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i got my 87, i wanted my pump tuned up too.
not so i could watch my fuel money comeout my tail pipe.
but i always thought more fuel ment more power.
i seeked help from a few professionals, and they all told me that it was not adviseable.
and that timing was everything. so we timed my truck to 7*
then i went over to a buddys house who had a 93 F250.
same engine, lighter truck not timed and the pump maxed out.
he was sure pissed when i took him very time fom a light, and from a rolling start.
he ended up turning his pump down and adding more timing.
nothing like rolling coal in an IDI and being slower than dog snot.

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i just want a little more smoke. i think it looks pretty cool. i know, im an idiot haha. the reason i think its definitely not maxed out is because it doesnt really blow all that much smoke. id like a little more.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smoke is a function of timing as well. Get your engine timed to 8.5 degrees BTDC @2000 RPM using the pulse method (20 degree offset on the meter). It will run better, and smoke em' if it's got em'. As for the fuel screw, back it off a flat, then turn it back. This way, you will know it is not in all the way, and you will have an idea for how much force it takes to turn it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i just want a little more smoke. i think it looks pretty cool. i know, im an idiot haha. the reason i think its definitely not maxed out is because it doesnt really blow all that much smoke. id like a little more.
Self proclaimed statements such as these are rarely if ever disputed....

Ya smoke is a waste....and actually does NOT look cool, more accurately it appears it's what gets EPA freaks on us and diesels a bad name in general....

Maybe I am wrong, however it's my opinion....

JM2CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wanting more smoke and not knowing what the exhaust temps are???:eek:cookoo Well ok.. Its your rig. Just do as Mel suggested. Back it off a little and then add some fuel. I have had some really tight fuel screws in the past. What I ended up making is a special short 5/32 allen wrench socket. I bought a allen wrench from my neighborhood Snapon guy. I then measured the length I needed to fit a socket of like size and just barely clear the injection pump case. I then used a 1/4 drive breaker bar to loosen the tight screw. After that I used a 1/4 drive ratchet to move the fuel up or down lots if needed. The trick is to get a top quality allen wrench and cut it down so there is very little twisting flex. Its too damned bad we can't find and allen wrench with a longer reach on the short side too. But this warning must be posted.. Turning up the fuel without an exhaust pyro can melt your pistons easily. Adding fuel and not knowing what your temps are now will result in disaster later on.

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanting more smoke and not knowing what the exhaust temps are???:eek:cookoo Well ok.. Its your rig. Just do as Mel suggested. Back it off a little and then add some fuel. I have had some really tight fuel screws in the past. What I ended up making is a special short 5/32 allen wrench socket. I bought a allen wrench from my neighborhood Snapon guy. I then measured the length I needed to fit a socket of like size and just barely clear the injection pump case. I then used a 1/4 drive breaker bar to loosen the tight screw. After that I used a 1/4 drive ratchet to move the fuel up or down lots if needed. The trick is to get a top quality allen wrench and cut it down so there is very little twisting flex. Its too damned bad we can't find and allen wrench with a longer reach on the short side too. But this warning must be posted.. Turning up the fuel without an exhaust pyro can melt your pistons easily. Adding fuel and not knowing what your temps are now will result in disaster later on.

Oh i definitely plan on getting a pyrometer. im not quite that stupid

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Self proclaimed statements such as these are rarely if ever disputed....

Ya smoke is a waste....and actually does NOT look cool, more accurately it appears it's what gets EPA freaks on us and diesels a bad name in general....

Maybe I am wrong, however it's my opinion....

JM2CW

I agree. i get pissed when i see idiots driving around dumping soot. im not planning on pluming black clouds all over the road. i just think a puff of black when you stand on it is pretty cool. grew up around semis and always thought it was cool when they smoked a little.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the right combination of timing and fuel adjustment, you can have plenty of power with almost zero smoke. I used to run both my trucks turned up and the timing up where everyone here reccomends and finally got tired of high egt's and blowing smoke everywhere I went.
With a lot of tinkering, I was able to to the fuel way down on my 89 and retard the timing to just about a 1/16 of an inch below the static mark and am very impressed with the power I have, as well as no visible smoke. Egt's are in check also.

Black dawg

Reaction score
ive tried this twice. i want to turn up my pump but the darn screw just wont turn no matter how hard i turn. it just wont go. any ideas? anybody ever had this problem?? help!

Just buy a dodge, then you can have the dumbo ears mirrors, smoke out intersections, and drive with your "driving" lights on all the time. Now that would look cool..

Seriously though, why try to make smoke? :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Getting a pyro first and then turning up the fuel is a good idea but. Glad to learn you are planning a pyro. Just hope its BEFOE and not after turning up the fuel so you have an idea where you were.

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
itll be before i turn up the pump. i only wanna turn it a few flats. so i can get a puff of black and i heard it helps make a little more power if you dont go over 2 flats or so.

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like i said. i dont wanna plume smoke all over the place, thats just a driving hazard for other people. but i think its somewhat cool when you can puff a little bit of smoke. i cant seriously be the only person that thinks this is kinda cool. im not doing it to match the ******* teenagers running around, i just think a little smoke here and there is cool IMO. guys are acting like i'm committing a sin, if its really that offensive to people then i wont do it. i just wanted to try it. is it really that big of a deal? am i missing something? i mean its really just my toy truck anyway. its hardly ever actually on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle