Intercooler Install.......

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I know ya'll are wanting pics and to see how things are going. We got the whole front end tore apart.... We got the holes sawed out for where the intercooler ports will go. Then the rain came. Heres some pics so far, the intercooler is just sort of sitting there..... It's just sitting in the front of the truck, we're far from getting it bolted in but it's lookin' good so far. More pics to come!! ;Sweet

Also, sort of unrelated but still a problem, I stuck some pics of my GP relay and controller on here, I think it may be wired wrong, as per the last person who replaced it before me. We were going to do the bypass, but it's still not working properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more pics please let me know. :dunno

Attachments

• Intercooler 002.jpg
    Intercooler 002.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Intercooler 001.jpg
    Intercooler 001.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Intercooler 003.jpg
    Intercooler 003.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Intercooler 004.jpg
    Intercooler 004.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Intercooler 006.jpg
    Intercooler 006.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Intercooler 008.jpg
    Intercooler 008.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 38

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
WOW! Fantastic.... i've been having issues with this forever and no one mentioned there was a tech article on the subject. I've done many thread searches and it never showed up. I think that will answer all my questions on that subject! THANKS!

discbrks

Reaction score
Lookin' good so far. Is that a Superduty intercooler? Where'd you get all the plumbing for it? Keep the pics coming.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
It is indeed PSD intercooler off an 01' I think. The plumbing is seemingly going to be custom fabbed up, we're gunna work on it tomorrow some more..... I have some of the factory pipe work that came with the intercooler and the expensive boots, I also have some cheaper rubber ones we're going to use also. I will be sure to photograph it all..... Any questions feel free to ask, if I don't include it already......

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
What kind of boost pressure did you see prior to the install? I just wonder how much loss in boost you might see with such a large intercooler.

That thing looks huge! :)

sassyrel

Reaction score
some say boost loss--others say no--as the air is just cooler--which is more compact---some say boost lag also--others say not enough to notice----take your pic---will be worth it if can say the temps under high boost will stay down----then the question has to be asked--how much more can i turn up the boost--with cooler intake air?????????????? :D :D :D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Having to fill that large intercooler might have some affect as well. I guess that was more my thought than cool, denser air - maybe the air wasn't the only thing dense on this one! :)

I guess the thing I want to see is what the difference is as that thing should cool some air!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
One other question...when you wanna start working on mine? Doing fine work there Sam, it's refreshing to see a female undertake such projects. I'm used to one who just sits on the couch and gripes...boy do I not miss her!!! :) Great work, keep up the pics, I'm enjoying seeing all this since my truck is NA, maybe I'll tackle turbo/intercooler someday!

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Well like I said, I hope I give my friend a lot of credit, I try to say that all the time..... I wouldn't attempt all this without a significant amount of help. The guy who rebuilt my turbo mentioned there was something I can do to get a little extra boost out of the turbo ONLY if and when I got the intercooler on (I mentioned I might be trying to do that to him) So we'll see if I do that or not, probly will, no reason not too, intercooler should take care of it all. Anyways, more pics tomorrow.... Hopefully should be *close* to done............

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, you have mentioned your friend quite a bit, which is cool and it's cool you have someone willing to give you a hand. I could have died under my truck and the buzzards would have cleaned me up before the hex knew what happened, well, except for when I didn't come in to fix something to eat! :)

Glad it is all coming together and anxious to see/hear the results.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Seems like I need to get motivated. I have a turbo kit and an Powerstroke intercooler sitting the garage. Been sitting there for a long time now. I've been thinking about how to plumb it up. I was looking at 3" intercooler piping kits on E-bay.
John

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well once you have the intercooler in that means you need more fuel, which means a Moose pump or a custom pump from some other builder lurking in the shadows. I agree its unusual to see a young woman interested in this stuff, I think its pretty awesome that you are. Hope it gives you the performance boost you were looking for. At least now you should be able to keep up with the early powerstroke crowd even when pulling some of your equine friends around.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Not 100% sure yet. We may use the stock one......... I'm gunna be out of town for a week but I will post everything when I get back and get it all done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin