Intercooler heavy duty testing run.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my opinion if you are going to upgrade the turbo the stage 1 drop in from idiperformance.com is the way to go. Insane whistle. amazing spool up and way more flow than a stock turbo. I went to one from a 093 with ww2 and would not go back. they are amazing.
My first thing would be upgrade the downpipe. the hot side isnt terrible to pul just takes some time.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
in my opinion if you are going to upgrade the turbo the stage 1 drop in from idiperformance.com is the way to go. Insane whistle. amazing spool up and way more flow than a stock turbo. I went to one from a 093 with ww2 and would not go back. they are amazing.
My first thing would be upgrade the downpipe. the hot side isnt terrible to pul just takes some time.

I was under the impression that R&D was taking a break because he was unable to keep up.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
On our last trip we noticed that the rear corner had a bit of sag. It got much worse after we encountered the bumpiest road in the country and dropped into/off of a large seam and pothole. At the next fuel stop it was obvious- the rear corner had dropped and buckled part of the siding. Frame is bent right above the rear axles.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On our last trip we noticed that the rear corner had a bit of sag. It got much worse after we encountered the bumpiest road in the country and dropped into/off of a large seam and pothole. At the next fuel stop it was obvious- the rear corner had dropped and buckled part of the siding. Frame is bent right above the rear axles.

Well that sure stinks. Possible to buy it back and fix it?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Well that sure stinks. Possible to buy it back and fix it?

Yes, we are weighing out our options now.

I have numbers for keeping it from the insurance company, but I may see what the trailer place offers. (They want it to "keep their guys busy over the winter".)

Not sure I have the time/resources to tackle this right now. Winter puts a stop to outside work and my shop isn't close to big enough for a 5'er!

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where's "the bumpiest road in the country"?

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm curious on your whole w2a imtercooler setup. I've been considering it on my truck. Is it save to assume you are running frozen boost components? How do you like the quality? Do you remember which intercooler, radiator and pump you are using for your system? It looks like you have a pretty efficient system set up for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
So I'm curious on your whole w2a imtercooler setup. I've been considering it on my truck. Is it save to assume you are running frozen boost components? How do you like the quality? Do you remember which intercooler, radiator and pump you are using for your system? It looks like you have a pretty efficient system set up for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

So I originally used this kit from FrozenBoost on my 1986 Dually- there is an article in the tech section that Towcat pinned there back in the day.

I sold the truck to my nephew and he changed things up on it and took off the kit before he again sold it. In all of our horse trading for truck and Jeep parts I ended up with the kit again.

So when I got back in the IDI I planned to use it, but wanted more real time feedback. The quality seems quite good. Not a single issue with leaks or anything. It is kinda heavy.

It turns out that FrozenBoost keeps pretty good records and shows that I purchased this in August 2011:
You must be registered for see images attach

I have never used the 7" fan.

The radiator is the 118 and the IC is the Type 3. When I bought it all it was a shot in the dark experiment.

I'm currently modifying a 2 gallon aluminum air horn tank to be a buffer reservoir to see how much stability and reserve capacity it can add. (Mostly I just like to experiment with diesels and learn, which is why I love this site.)

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Well, I have decided to downsize from the 5er. Going to try a slide in camper and a cargo trailer.

Scored an old, but solid Northstar for $1200. Needs some TLC. Heater works great. Not a single leak and no wood root anywhere on the box. Has one odd jack, but I've already ordered a matching replacement.

Truck just shrugs it off like it's not even there. Kinda nice how easy it goes down the highway.

You must be registered for see images attach