Info on turbo by Turbo Engineering Inc.

Mailbox

Reaction score
I have a 1985 6.9 liter engine with a turbo setup that was made by a company called Turbo Engineering Inc. At least that is the name cast into the exhaust manifold and the air intake. Does anyone know anything about this company? I can't find it online so I assume it went out of business a long time ago. My turbo has started leaking a lot of oil so I need to rebuild or replace it. If anyone could give me any leads on parts and overhaul specs it would be much appreciated

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictures of the setup would be a place to start. Likely the turbo is or is derived from a standard turbo offering from back in the day so getting a seal and bearing kit isn't likely too difficult once the turbo is identified. If you can get a picture of the nameplate on the turbo center section or some good detail photos posted it will help.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this the turbo kit that mounts the turbo on a replacement exhaust manifold, and there is a cross over pipe from the other factory exhaust manifold?

I think the plumbing and locations for the kit I am thinking of is: factory passenger exhaust manifold, pipe connected to the passenger manifold, cross over to the drivers side, and connects to a replacement manifold that has the same basic factory outlet, but this is now the input from the passenger bank. The turbo sits at the front of the drivers side manifold, on a flange that is part of the manifold. The turbo is up by the A/C and power string pump. There is a long charge tube from the turbo to the intake, and the exhaust it routed down and out the back.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done a few of those. The seal is a carbon seal if it is original and Will need to be upgraded when rebuilt. Sometimes takes a few extra parts to do.