idi turbo

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Not to hi-jack the the thread, RKOCH, what are G code injectors? Thanks.

The injectors that came in factory turbo 7.3 IDI's, some say there the best performing stock injector, but others say the arent and that they are actually a little worse than others because of emmisions.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well I just wrote a whole book on this, but my computer just lost it before I posted it, so now I'll have to post it tomorrow.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okay. I own a few different turbocharged vehicles, most of which are these trucks with a turbo on them. I also own a 97 turbo Eclipse, and I can tell you any stock mitsubishi turbo will not suffice. They are far too small.

The T04E Garrett cartridge is perfect for these trucks, and you cant deny allot of thought was put into the selection of turbine and compressor that was used to compliment these engines. Too small of a turbo and you're wasting your time and money, to large and you're in the same boat. Allot of people think just because a turbo is BIG it will make your engine run better, that is not true, if you get to big of a turbo it will lag and spool up time will be far up in the RPM band. Such as the case with a power stroke turbo, I realize it will boost, but you will not receive optimum efficiency out of your engine with that large of turbo. Another way of putting it is, a power stroke turbo will lag like an old lady crossing the street.

To be honest there is no better turbo for these trucks than a T4 size turbo, and really there is only one thing that could be done to the T04E turbo to make it produce more and that would be to have a custom ball bearing cartridge made.
If you insist on building your own kit the T4 is definitely the way to go, the exhaust inlet flange is a common one and is easy to get an up pipe for, and I would stick with a V-band style exhaust outlet as that is also easy to get an exhaust shop to make a down pipe for.
I would suggest finding a rebuilt factory wastegated turbo or the like. Talk to Typ4 he may have one.
I have my old cartridge that I will be trading him for some stuff, and if he can find the housings he can build something that works for you.
Otherwise I will keep my eye out for what looks like a good subject for you.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Here, ask this guy if he still has this turbo.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270206003641
He has these all the time, but you have to look closely to make sure you're getting a good one. The one he has listed right now that I saw has a ruined compressor wheel, which is just going to cost you more money.
Find out if you can get that one thats in that link, not any other one, that one, because it looks as if you may be good to go with a set of bearings and seals and it'll be good as new. Offer him $150 for it or something.
Otherwise if he has others he wants you to look at, then post them here first, I as well as others will be happy to help you get a good one, like the one I posted.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
What T04B? The turbo I listed? I guess I dont know what a DT466 is, so I dont know what you're comparing to.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That turbo is just to big, it wont be in its efficiency range with our boost numbers. Think about it, a 466ci engines turbo that feeds it 20+psi of boost would be way overkill for a 445ci engine that needs 15psi max. There would be a lot of lag. Though I suppose if you were to be pulling big loads it would be alright because it wont be super heating the air.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I meant to re post this in my repost of what was deleted on me that one night, but I have heard allot of VERY bad stories for those cheap ebay turbos. Most of them consist of the turbo failing within the first month of operation, if not the first run of the vehicle. And most of them end up taking the engine with them. I VERY STRONGLY suggest you buy nothing but genuine Garrett or AirResearch.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
The turbo for a DT-466 and a T-444 (7.3l DI) are the same garrett gt-40 the only differnce is wastegated or not most were not till after 2000 or so. And the A/R ratio of the exhaust turbine housing this is where your lag comes from. Most 444 were .95 and 466 were .95 or 1.11 depending on the HP rating there were 2 others but 90% are those 2. A GT-40 with a .95 exhaust is perfectly sized for a 7.3l IDI. As it was designed for a 444 ci engine to start with. This is what I used on my 89 and it produces on average from 0 to 8 psi under normal conditions. Put a heavy load and pull a mountain it runs 12 to 15. Which is fine for an IDI. That turbo on ebay is they one I am running and have puit on several other applications.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Whatever man, use that crapbay turbo. I guarantee you will be pulling your engine within a year tops.
What I was trying to get you to realize was that you need to stick with top grade manufacturer parts, Garrett, AirResearch, Turbonetics, etc. Even though they will cost you a bit more, they are worth it in the end.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I'm not saying he should buy the exact one from the EBAY auction NO NO I would not do that, probally junk. I was implying that model turbo from the EBAY pic would work fine. That's all absolutly find top grade new parts preferably.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, I wasnt getting on you about it. I just dont want this kid going out and buying some korean made crap that wont last a month.
IN FACT, now that I think about it, I know a guy I bought our new 6.9 engine from that has 2 NEW T-444 turbos, and one NEW Cummins Holeset. I know he's looking for a couple hundred for them but I know he'll let them go cheap.
If you want to make something from one of those turbos, PM me for his number.

tractorman86

Reaction score
hmmmmm... i like the idea are either of them wastegated? if i can buy one for 150 i can have it rebuilt and ballenced for around the same and have a whole set up for some where in the neighborhood of 4-500? sound about right?:dunno

Last edited: