I pulled the old 86 out of the weeds

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it really is a pretty good old truck 1986 with a 7.3 Idi F350 the best thing about this truck is it's a Crew Cab, and has very little rust.
I rebuilt the 7.3 in about 2007. And I pulled the C6 and put a T18 in it the T18 went bad and that's why I parked it.
It has been sitting since about 2013. I did start it once since then about four years ago.
Just got started building our house and like most of you don't have time for everything we would like to do.

So now I got some time to work on it and got it in the shop . Got The old fuel out of the lines. Put new batteries on her. Battery charger running, also put clear plastic line from the filter housing to the return lines.
Cranked on this thing quite a bit about 20 seconds at a of time and I am getting some vapor out of the intake. Squirting at the number one injector. And it's starting to hit some. I did shoot it with some starting fluid (I don't like that) and it really didn't seem to help much. I just thought that can of starting fluid has been sitting in there since I don't know when maybe it's old.

I'll put some pictures up of the old girl after awhile. If worst comes to worse I will put the other trainee in and pull it.

I have just about exhausted my resources so the only thing I know to do is crank on. Any advice would be appreciated.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure it's cranking fast. If you keep cranking your draining the batteries fast. Make sure it's getting jumped or has battery charger.

Your certain of fuel pressure? Takes a bit to drain the air out of the lines without an electric pump.

I'd change the fuel filter and fill it with ATF, try to clean the IP some.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Some thoughts -

As TNBrett and others have shared, ether only helps if there is diesel coming to the cylinder too. So likely the ether is good, it is a lack of diesel.

Ditto on get a 10/20/40 amp charger on your batteries or jump to another vehicle. (A 2amp charger is not going to help out.) That should help keep your starter RPM up.

1) Make sure the glow plugs are working.
2) Fill the fuel filter up if empty. Jemina has a good point, fill with ATF, could help do some cleaning up of the IP and injectors.
3) See if your lift pump or e-pump is sending diesel to the filter, if not figure out why.
4) Make sure your IP solenoid is getting power and clicks. (If it does not open, it will not send diesel to the injectors.)
4) Crack a few injector lines at the injector. Crank till you see diesel coming out. Then crack them all and let them bleed out over a couple of cranking sessions. Tighten and try to start.
5) If you have a working block heater, plug it in, that will also help.
6) Try holding the IP wide open when you crank.

One thing many have done with fuel related issues. They run a hose from the lift pump to 5 gallon can of diesel. That way you know, it is not your fuel lines. It is not bad diesel, and can tell if your lift pump is working.

Start there and let us know what results your are getting seeing. And as always send some pics.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure it's cranking fast. If you keep cranking your draining the batteries fast. Make sure it's getting jumped or has battery charger.

Your certain of fuel pressure? Takes a bit to drain the air out of the lines without an electric pump.

I like the ATF idea never heard that one

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Looks like you are busy at work!

That battery charger should do the trick! However a completely dead battery can be still be an issue. So if you are turning over slow, you may need to put a new pair of batteries in.

I really like the two tone tan and brown trucks.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Lots of good advice here.

Not to hijack your post with a dumb question but...
I tried jump starting mine after draining the battery(s). I hooked cables from my other truck to the passenger side battery and it was no help. So I switched the cables to the other battery. Nothing there either. Was it just a bad jumper cable connection or is there more to it when running 2 batteries?
The batteries are fairly new and have been fine since being recharged after that incident.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Lots of good advice here.

Not to hijack your post with a dumb question but...
I tried jump starting mine after draining the battery(s). I hooked cables from my other truck to the passenger side battery and it was no help. So I switched the cables to the other battery. Nothing there either. Was it just a bad jumper cable connection or is there more to it when running 2 batteries?
The batteries are fairly new and have been fine since being recharged after that incident.
Probably just a bad jumper cable set or connection. I always watch to see the cables spark and arc when hooking up the last cable that tells you its transfering power. You also need a good heavy set of jumper cables on a diesel engine takes allot of current to charge 2 batteries and run that big starter

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the T18 still works enough to pull start it I would definitely do that if you can find help its allot easier on the starter
While that's a good idea if the starter or batteries are dead, if he has no fuel it'll cause more problems and waste time until we know for certain what the issue is. Better off not doing that in this case, though it is good for other instances.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK the truck started run pretty rough, just ran for a couple minutes before running out of gas my return line is going to the gas tank so my gas can drained out pretty fast.
It did start to smooth out there toward the end gotta get some more gas. Next I'm going to pull the transmission 4 speed T 18 swap it with one that come out of a four wheel drive I am hoping that I can just change the piece on the back of the transmission. I guess that would be the output shaft and housing, anybody done this before? Thank you all.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I always thought the 2 and 4 wheel drive trannies had different tail shafts for the transfer case, so the yoke could mount. I'm not sure how that would work unless you had the parking brake assembly off an f super duty to maintain 2wd.
Or...you could throw the transfer case in, and benefit off the 4lo for lower gearing as a plus

Rock

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought the 2 and 4 wheel drive trannies had different tail shafts for the transfer case, so the yoke could mount. I'm not sure how that would work unless you had the parking brake assembly off an f super duty to maintain 2wd.
Or...you could throw the transfer case in, and benefit off the 4lo for lower gearing as a plus

Rock
well it just happens I do have that parking brake assembly off of a F450 1996 automatic. And I really hadn't thought about that low gear advantage. Thanks for the help I'll keep you informed.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out both of these T18 transmissions the two wheel drive and the four wheel drive had the same first gear reverse gear damage. So there's no way I can swap them around without buying some gears I have another transmission, a new process it's also a four speed 4wd. Looks to be in excellent condition. I'm thinking pretty serious about using that new process transmission and the NP205 transfer case.
That's a great looking crew cab. I think it deserves a ZF5..........
There you go that's what I'd really like to do but I don't have one.
This gets a little confusing but I'll try. I do have another truck that I can take the 410 rear axle out of, it is a four wheel drive three quarter ton 1980 or so. The rear axle is clearly a Dana 60 410 on the tag. Front axle I just don't know, no tag can't tell. Just don't have the experience with 4 wheel drive vehicles.
I could get a picture maybe somebody would help me identify the axle.
One thing that holds me back on going with the three quarter ton Axel in the front is, I like the bud wheels on the front and don't know if I can change the hubs or find the hubs.
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86