My guess is this is the Dana 50 I don't know

Attachments

• dana60.jpg
    dana60.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 12

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And then this would be the Dana 60 with that smooth slope and no hump on the front the way I understand it

Attachments

• dana 60 rear.jpg
    dana 60 rear.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 5

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do they make a dana 50 for the front Axel ? I found a 60 and a 44

Attachments

• Cover side of the front axle.jpg
    Cover side of the front axle.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 4

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK well it turns out that is a Dana 44 front Axel.
Just don't know if Dana 44 is big enough for this one ton from what I've read for street use it would be just fine.
I will need to find the coil spring supports for the bottom of the coils.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK well it turns out that is a Dana 44 front Axel.
Just don't know if Dana 44 is big enough for this one ton from what I've read for street use it would be just fine.
I will need to find the coil spring supports for the bottom of the coils.
If you dont haul like it has a Dana 60 than the 44 will be enough. With a big plow or lots of heavy loads the 44 may not be sufficient. It's all about your use case.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started her up again, have been working on that transmission change got it all back together and ready to go started cranking on it, it started and blue bunch of oil out the driver side near the firewall I thought sure it was the oil cooler seal. But when I finally got back to it and cleaned the mess up could see what was going on. It is the seal on the oil filter. I thought it was strange because It never leaked. I just never seen this before.
You must be registered for see images attach

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont haul like it has a Dana 60 than the 44 will be enough. With a big plow or lots of heavy loads the 44 may not be sufficient. It's all about your use case.

Does the front axle have 8 lugs or 5?
It is 8 lugs but has the smaller pan I understand that makes it a 44 thank you
Thanks for the reply guys, I am not going to change the axle for the now would really like to have the 60 in there when I do.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Started her up again, have been working on that transmission change got it all back together and ready to go started cranking on it, it started and blue bunch of oil out the driver side near the firewall I thought sure it was the oil cooler seal. But when I finally got back to it and cleaned the mess up could see what was going on. It is the seal on the oil filter. I thought it was strange because It never leaked. I just never seen this before.
You must be registered for see images attach

Rust/corrosion could to blame. Like tree roots under a sidewalk, rust has a habit of pushing anything in its way out of its way. Likely over time the rust pushed out the seal. But perhaps the seal just got soft and stretched under pressure.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will help. The difference seems to be outer end wheel hub diameter.

Attachments

• 34140D10-D977-43F9-B339-999CF21878E4.png
    34140D10-D977-43F9-B339-999CF21878E4.png
    866.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2B633580-9A74-4101-B440-14F00ABA2D98.png
    2B633580-9A74-4101-B440-14F00ABA2D98.png
    897.3 KB · Views: 8

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am referring back to and earlier post where I had the picture of the oil filter where the seal blew out.
Now I've got a oil pressure gauge hooked up to it the first gauge blew up the second gauge did the same. so I put a higher pressure gauge on, you'll have to see the pictures'
I know I don't have the experience some of you guys may have but I've just never seen this before.
When I put the higher pressure oil gauge on in started it cold it had close to 150 PSI At around 2000 RPM.
Idol was 60 PSI cold.
After it got warmed up about 180 degrees pressure dropped way down 10 at idle 50 at 2000 RPM.
I will try to post some links for videos'

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 10 and 50 psi is normal. That is good pressure. 150 is way too high. that will blow every seal you have in the truck. There is a pressure valve in I believe it is the real oil cooler head. I wonder if that was stuck closed for awhile.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The 10 and 50 psi is normal. That is good pressure. 150 is way too high. that will blow every seal you have in the truck. There is a pressure valve in I believe it is the real oil cooler head. I wonder if that was stuck closed for awhile.
I'll bet that it did. That would be what caused the oil filter gasket to push out and what destroyed first two oil pressure gauges.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
If the pressure release is now freed up and you keep the 10-50psi or even say 30-80psi till it warms and thins. Then you should be good.

If after sitting overnight it happens again you will need to pull the oil cooler and see what is going on.

Also change the oil just to make sure it does not have sludge or something else wrong with it.

Ditto on why your oil filter seal blew out.