hypermax downpipe

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size is the pipe used on the hypermax pulse turbo for the downpipe? Are they all the same or are there different sizes available? I just bought a used pulse kit and the downpipe is only 2.5 in. Seems kinda small? does hypermax sell a 3 in or will i have to make one?

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
What size is the pipe used on the hypermax pulse turbo for the downpipe? Are they all the same or are there different sizes available? I just bought a used pulse kit and the downpipe is only 2.5 in. Seems kinda small? does hypermax sell a 3 in or will i have to make one?

Hypermax does not make a downpipe for the 7.3 IDI. They do make one for the PSD but not the IDI. ATS is the only company that makes a 3" downpipe for the IDI Ford factory turbo. In order to use the ATS 3" downpipe you have to change the turbo/outlet elbow from a 2.25 outlet to a 3" outlet. Curently the downpipe and outlet/elbow from ATS is on back order with out an ETA for delivery.

If you have a Banks sidewinder turbo, banks makes all 3" hardware and pipe for the 7.3 IDI.

Or................ Fab one up yourself............

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score

Well, read a little closer and you said pulse turbo. Not sure about the pulse turbo but sounds like it's the same as the factory turbo if the downpipe is 2.5".

Also any 3" downpipe is going to cause you to make firewall modifications in order for it to clear the firewall and transmission.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I have a hypermax pulse turbo kit. I guess I will have to make a 3 in downpipe for it. I was just looking at it the other day and the pipe is smaller than the turbo outlet by a little.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hypermax uses a slip fit? And only 2.5"?

The reason non gated turbo's are nice is that they keep EGT's low, but with a downpipe like that, its a little restrictive (higher EGT's). Plus a slip fit? I thought ATS was the only one dumb enough to do that.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hypermax uses a slip fit?

Not exactly. Per the Hypermax turbo install Tech article:
There is nothing to hold the pipe in the housing, as there is a tab on the downpipe which fastens to the turbo mount casting with two bolts. This holds the pipe in the exhaust housing. A ring, similar to a piston ring, is in a grove around the downpipe flange, and this must be compressed with a flat bladed screwdriver to get the downpipe flange to mate fully. I recommend putting some graphite anti-seize compound on this ring and flange during assembly to ensure it comes apart in the future if necessary.

Heath

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only place a pulse turbo really leaks is where the two pipes come in from the manifolds. I put some exhaust sealer on mine before I installed them. They came out easily after a few seconds of wiggling but never leaked.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called hypermax and the woman there said that there is no larger downpipe availible from them and that a larger one is not needed. I think I would still rather a 3 in downpipe for a little better flow. I still might try to make my own in 3 in. Any opinions? go larger or keep the downpipe that came with it?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would have to disagree with the 2.5 being large enough. sure in stock form it is ok, but there have been more than one person say that a custom 3 inch helps out noticably. even if it is still a 2.5 outlet on the turbo and jumps to 3 inch for the down pipe.

something on my wish list since i am still running the stock factory crushed pipe.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told by Hypermax personel years ago that the 2.5 downpipe is sized the way it is because it is necessary to provide balance for the overall performance of the pulse system. While we tend to think of the pulse turbo as just two up pipes and a down pipe, Hypermax claims the pipes are sized the way they are along with the turbo itself to maximize the pulse action. While it would be easy to say B.S. on all this, I tend to think that Hypermax does their research and produces quality products. If they could get another 5 or 10 HP out of the pulse turbo by going with a 3" down pipe, I think they would have done it. There is no logical reason for them to want to hold back any horsepower, and if it were a firewall clearance issue I'd think they would have offered an upgraded down pipe but with a requirement that you have a body lift or something. :dunno However, that said, I think somebody ought to dyno before and after fitting a 3" down pipe. It's the only way we will know.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input. I was thinking I might try the 2.5 in downpipe and if I can get it on a dyno and then try the 3 in and re dyno it. Again thanks for all the help.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the one on my old 6.9 had a slip fit down pipe and it leaked like crazy and if you hit a little bump, come off, and fill the engine compartment/cab with black smoke

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
oops i was thinking the factory type turbo when i typed my reply up not the hypermax system. my apologies, dont know about upgrading that but Mel has some good advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7