Slow?

Fast?

How/why does it happen?

How did it happen to you?

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO. Most of the time it's slow from internal wear. This is rare, but I have heard of them seizing and breaking the shaft.

sassyrel

Reaction score
slow, from internal wear. and its not the same miles, for all trucks..as fuel filters get close to plugged,,theres less fuel, available to the pump. the ip,,needs a full steady supply of fuel,,so the internals arent starving,as that will contribute to accerated wear...thats why, some people, get a lot of miles, out of the original. someone kept the filters changed...

wmoguy

Reaction score
The original pump on my 94 made it to 200k miles (there abouts) and gave very little warning she was going out. As I remember it, it was running great one day. Next morning, headed to the lake for a day of fun she was spitting and sputtering at a stop light. 10 miles further down the road and it just became this absolute smoky pig on teh highway and I couldn't even hold 55mph. I ended up turning around and nursing it home and parking it til I could replace the pump

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
The one that came in my '84 was original (180K I'm guessing with 5-digit odo) but my first experiments with WVO hastened its demise, I'm sure. It began having metering valve problems...stalling at idle, trying to die while decelerating. Then one day at a stop light it started idling at 2000 RPM and would not slow down...bad news with a C6! Brakes were red-hot when I made it home...but it did get me home. Had to have the C6 rebuilt several months later, but that may have just been age/ mileage.

I still feel bad about what I forced that truck to do.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can go bad in a variety of ways, ranging from "it runs fine" to "it won't run". All pumps eventually wear to the point where they loose OEM spec performance. The loss of power and economy is slow and unperceptable. There are lots of trucks running around on the road with pumps that should be replaced, and their owners have no clue. From there, it goes downhill into the "noticable performance issue" catagory, which are usually caused by advance plunger problems messing up your timing and causing "weirdness", or perhaps a hydraulic head issue that causes the famous "heat soak" problem. Leaking seals and broken parts round out the failure list. Complete pump failure usually occurs with a snapped input shaft or bad FSS.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
My old 6.9 just up and quit on me as I tried accelerating onto the highway. Went from fine to not running in 1 second. But, mine was also extremely abused and ill-cared-for before I got it. When I took the top off the IP, the whole inside of it was rusty and disgusting.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the above posting ring with lots of truth in them. Sometimes its a simple seal that starts leaking out the fuel so you end up with terrible fuel mileage like my pensacola pump did to me. It was a low mileage failure too. Still have that pump as a rebuildable baby moos pump exchange.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I had two start to leak from the weap hole. Got worse as time went on, this of course allows air to enter the pump which = a poor and rough running engine.
I had one get weak over time, till the point where it ws just a bear to start in any temps, and had no power and poor economy. That pump was on a 92 with 145,000miles.
And on my current 84, the metering valve is starting to stick. I have given it a few ATF treatments already, but im am expecting a failure shortly. This pump only has 40,000miles on it, thats with lots of lube additives and a Racor 2 micron filter mounted on the truck.

I have never had a pump failure on any other type of pump other than a leaky throttle shaft o-ring on a Toyota 2L-T diesel pickup. So I am religious with fuel lube additives on any DB-2 pump that im running.

Last edited: