How about tuning your engine using the glow plugs???

sassyrel

Reaction score
i read most of it--but will have to go back to it--thanks for the link again---me thinks that guy is on the right track---

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been reading that too and am currently on page 24. Looks to be plausible to me. It's definitely got me thinking about injector spray patterns and prechamber design.

At the very least it's an interestng read.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
For those of us who don't really have time to read 30 pages, what is the basic summary of it?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
use a glowplug as a thermocouple, and a multimeter to read the resistance of each cylinder.
build your injectors accordingly.

it doesn't take a genius to figure it out, and certainly not 30 pages.
I think the author likes all the attention, and he tends to elude to his own experiments and reveal little.

drew

FordGuy100

Reaction score
use a glowplug as a thermocouple, and a multimeter to read the resistance of each cylinder.
build your injectors accordingly.

it doesn't take a genius to figure it out, and certainly not 30 pages.
I think the author likes all the attention, and he tends to elude to his own experiments and reveal little.

drew

Yeah, thats basically what I got out of it. I dont see all that much of a gain out of it, maybe a hp or two, and a little bit smoother running of an engine. I didnt really get how the guy was trying to figure out the optimal timing, optimal timing has many factors to it, you cant just base it on cold idle (he was asking about that in the first couple pages).

The author seems like a weird guy...

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The author [crossbones] is a pretty dam knowledgeable guy and the fact that he's into idi's is a plus. There's alot of good information on that thread if your willing to read through it.
If you haven't tried it you can't really knock it.

Dennis

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the short coming (and in some cases, the beauty) of the IDI is that the fuel system is pretty much open loop. All the aftermarket exhaust pyrometers were installed in order to get some operator feedback in the form of EGTs. Seems to make sense to look for combustion chamber feedback via the glow plug circuit. After all, isn't that what makes the newer technology more optimal is the addition of more closed loop sensors and a system to manage fuel and timing? On gassers it was common to add separate oxygen sensors for both engine banks to see the individual sides of the exhaust. The highest tech engines have one oxygen sensor per cylinder, which makes a lot of sense when you start to think about engine hot spots, differences in intake runner length, etc. I believe there is no question there is tuning information available from the glow plugs, and afterall, they are already installed where they need to be. I do also agree that it would be nice to see somebody do a little clearer write up on what they are seeing/adjusting with this glow plug information.

Just my .02

sassyrel

Reaction score
know what--i could care less about the authors personality--if the infos good, ok. if not, throw it out----

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I've read through that thread and it seems necessarily vague as each individual engine will have different measurements.

I think most of us like a step 1, step 2. . . approach and the supertuning with the glowplugs isn't that.

I would however like to have a better summary so I could understand what exactly I'd be looking for so I could experiment.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've read through that thread and it seems necessarily vague as each individual engine will have different measurements.

I think most of us like a step 1, step 2. . . approach and the supertuning with the glowplugs isn't that.

I would however like to have a better summary so I could understand what exactly I'd be looking for so I could experiment.

Exactly. Too much manure to wade through.
the guy has an admirable idea, especially considering the new fuel. We're all having mileage and power issues with it, and the engine specs weren't set up for it. eventually, we are going to have to start fiddling with the timing specs and possibly injectors and ???, for this fuel to see what it takes to make this stuff burn worth a flip, just to try to regain the efficiency the factory engineers had designed in. it's obvious the EPA thinks they've finished with it.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
regarding the new fuel, last year I had to swap fuel additives because because of poor idle especially after 20 minutes of highway driving.

I swapped to B20 a few months ago and it made a huge difference. The engine runs smoother and no additive is required for lubrication.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
regarding the new fuel, last year I had to swap fuel additives because because of poor idle especially after 20 minutes of highway driving.

I swapped to B20 a few months ago and it made a huge difference. The engine runs smoother and no additive is required for lubrication.

Mine definetely runs better on biodiesel or with some veg mixed in. I just haven't had time to fool with converting to veg on this one and I don't pass the nearest bio station ( 50 miles away ) very often.

lately I haven't even had time to run any veg batches.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
Yeah, thats basically what I got out of it. I dont see all that much of a gain out of it, maybe a hp or two, and a little bit smoother running of an engine. I didnt really get how the guy was trying to figure out the optimal timing, optimal timing has many factors to it, you cant just base it on cold idle (he was asking about that in the first couple pages).

The author seems like a weird guy...

Here is a Quote from him on timing

"****setting the timing........... the simple objective is to achieve the lowest glow plug readings with the Smallest Change in the readings through out the working RPM range............." Page 18

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Here is a Quote from him on timing

"****setting the timing........... the simple objective is to achieve the lowest glow plug readings with the Smallest Change in the readings through out the working RPM range............." Page 18

Ok...I'm still confused as crap. What does this achieve for you. In my eyes, all it is doing is evening out the EGT's made. I'll stick with my theory of this will only net a couple hp and a little smoother running of an engine. I cant see it doing much more than that.