Head Gasket recommendations

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Most of you know that it lookd like Big Ed blew a head gasket on the way to the Rally,.. As I do reasearch on what to do, I would liike your recomendations on what Head Gaskets to use and what other parts will I need for this project.

Anoy other head studs besides Kens? are they really needed IF I kee the boost under 15PSI..(big IF)

I read Mel's article and have been doing some reasearch on it allready but would like any other input..

Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I use Felpro because thats all they do and they spend plenty of time and money on research. The International gaskets are fine but I would use them only if I couldn't get the Felpros. Ken is having trouble with the shop that was making his studs so I wont tell you to buy them yet. Also he is supplying 220,000 psi studs but before they were 270,000 psi studs. I have the first set he had made up. I called several shops out here and found one that makes studs for all the top fuel motors and they are 220,000 psi studs by 9/16 inch. If they can handle those motors then I feel they will handle our motors at 15 lbs boost and in the 1/2 by 7 inch length. Typ4 bought a set from someone and they are 220,000 psi and 7 inches long. Its very important to bottom tap out the block threads so you have clean threads and no binding just buy a 1/2x13 bottoming tap. If you can't find one grind down a plug or starting tap but don't let it turn blue from heat. Keep dipping it in cool water. Oh yea... Pull the motor and save your back. Its much easier to torque 34 bolts or studs 4 times when its on the stand.:D

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Darrin

I agree with icanfixall. FelPro. That's all I'll use for the same reason he mentions...unless you've got some other custom treatments up your sleeve. Head studs if you can get them. At the very least, replace the head bolts. I believe I gave $36 a set from Napa. Keep in mind that one set does one head.
I think it was about $300 total just to take the heads off. That's for bolts, FelPro gasket set (head removal), valley pan (not included in gasket set), injector return line kit, and IP installation kit (may not be necessary).

If you're doing it in truck, make sure you have a cherry picker to lift the head out.

Most of this I'm sure you already know. Just trying to think out loud.cookoo

Tom

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used ROL brand in the last build my engine parts guy said they are also oem for lots of makers wish I would have taken pics ,very nice gasket set, do not use victor. Felpro is good as said.
As icanfixall said, I got studs from arp I liked the idea of the extra clamping from the fine thread end. I run 12 psi and 1k pyro, If you get to that it a lot of power

And since I have a business ARP made me a dealer, ,a few percent off. Every little bit helps.;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I always used Victor or Felpro - never blew a head gasket and you know how I drove/drive....

Studs - Not really sure if they are needed because again you know my driving style and I used *used* head bolts without a problem - the set that was on the last engine in The E where 2 engines old at the time of install. I personally think that replacing the head bolts is a little over rated only because of what I experienced but replacing them is the proper way.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Good Advice guys, Thanks!

I have seen Ken's price on the head studs, are the other ones any cheaper? There is no way I am spending $700.00 just for head studs so at this point I am just curions enough to do the reaserch. I like the 36.00 from Napa for the head bolts.

At one time I was talking to Ken about overheating and why some trucks have a real problem with and others do not. What he was saying is that there are coolant passages in the head and some gaskets have a blockage that you can remove for better flow, thus better cooling. He thinks that some of the head gaskets are not allowing this to happen. Does this ring a bell to anyone? or make any sence? This was a couple of years ago. I would like to ask him again but he doesn't return calls anymore:dunno

Thanks again!

FordGuy100

Reaction score

I have seen Ken's price on the head studs, are the other ones any cheaper? There is no way I am spending $700.00 just for head studs so at this point I am just curions enough to do the reaserch. I like the 36.00 from Napa for the head bolts.

QUOTE]

ARP makes head studs like typ4 said, and since he's a dealer, maybe you can get them for what he buys them for. You'd probably have to take that up with him though.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I always used Victor or Felpro - never blew a head gasket and you know how I drove/drive....

Studs - Not really sure if they are needed because again you know my driving style and I used *used* head bolts without a problem - the set that was on the last engine in The E where 2 engines old at the time of install. I personally think that replacing the head bolts is a little over rated only because of what I experienced but replacing them is the proper way.

Uh, we all know the fait of the E as well!!! :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is just for camp fire fodder. My original 7.3 motor in my 89 had the original passenger side head gasket on it when I pulled the motor. It had 374,000 miles on it. Now that was 200,000 miles of Banks Sidewinder hard pulling from here to Canada several times at 12 lbs boost. It never gave up. Just number 8 cavitated at 160,000 miles and got sleeved then on just that cylinder. I told the shop to replace the passenger side head gasket but they told me when it was finished it didn't need the extra work done at that time......-cuss Yea, they would charge me later when they hoped to be pulling the motor to do the gasket..... This is what they got.:moon:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey argve, I use victor sets at work and some of the gaskets are coming thru pretty flimsy looking, I based that comment on 300 six builds, maybe not accurate for diesels, sorry. Also corteco makes a good gasket set.
I tried to get kens studs the first time around and could not get an answer from him. So this time I went with arp. I can post more info when I find the reciept. dang desk is a foot deep

Exekiel69

Reaction score
At one time I was talking to Ken about overheating and why some trucks have a real problem with and others do not. What he was saying is that there are coolant passages in the head and some gaskets have a blockage that you can remove for better flow, thus better cooling. He thinks that some of the head gaskets are not allowing this to happen. Does this ring a bell to anyone? or make any sence? This was a couple of years ago. I would like to ask him again but he doesn't return calls anymore:dunno

Thanks again!

Darrin, He told Me this too a couple of years ago. I don't know about any coolant passages on the gaskets but maybe someone can tell a bit more about this?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I tried to get kens studs the first time around and could not get an answer from him. So this time I went with arp. I can post more info when I find the reciept. dang desk is a foot deep

Sounds good Russ, Thanks!

Diesel Dave

Reaction score
I used Felpro gaskets and ARP head studs on my 6.9 rebuild. Got the complete gasket set from local NAPA for roughly 450 - 500 and the studs from Summit Racing for just under 250. Had the studs dropped shipped from ARP to save time since they are not an in stock item for Summit and got them in about 4 days from California to east coast of Georgia via UPS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes