Changing a head gasket in the brown truck.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a year ago the '89 crew cab started spewing coolant out the front, right, upper corner of the engine. I finally got it into the shop this winter and have pulled the engine. I'm middlin' sure the problem is the head gasket - the leak was kinda visible below the exhaust manifold. I started out to remove the engine and leave the transmission in place. That might have worked if I'd pulled the starter and the oil filter first. I didn't. So, we wound up dropping the transmission and transfer case as a unit, then the engine lifted right out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Anyway, the engine is out and I plan to replace the starboard head gasket and the rear main seal. Unless I find really big issues, I don't plan to do anything else.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This engine has been leaking like a sieve and I think some of it was coming from the valve covers.
Here's the port side, aft:

And here's the starboard side, aft:

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I will change the valve cover gaskets while I'm in there. I'm going to try to do a bare minimum of those "while I'm in there" things, because that's how these projects stretch out until they never finish. One thing I've already done, though, is I took off the nasty old sound proofing from the firewall.

It was saggy and in the way, and I've been fighting that garbage since I bought the truck.
It looks a lot better now.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing I just had to do was fix the connector for the engine wiring harness. It had been replaced with not one, but TWO wads of but splices. I labeled the wires 1 through 8, then A&B for the two I found later, and got an 8 pin Deutsch connector pair. My son put the Deutsch connectors on, and I used some 15A powerpole connectors for the A&B. I used 50A powerpoles for the two glowplug wires. I didn't get a before picture, but here's an after pic of the engine side.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to do the minimum to get it back on the road quickly. I need it running, and the leaks don't bother me. That rear main is already more than I really should do, but it won't take long.

Edited to add:
As soon as this is out of the shop it goes back to being my daily driver. Then I can finish up the new engine, drop it in the red truck, and get that on the road. Once that's solid and reliable, it can become the daily driver and I can redo the front end on the green plow truck - the front tires are wearing funny, so I'm trying to limit the miles I put on it.

A new motor for the brown truck is several projects down the list.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often can you just replace a head gasket on these trucks, and not find things like a cracked head or loose valve guides? I don’t have enough experience with these engines yet to know, but I know on some other engines you have to plan on re-manned heads if you’re doing a head gasket

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was running great until it started spewing, and it seems likely it'll run great when it goes back together. I figure if I get another six months to a year out of it I'll be golden, and it may last longer than that, who knows.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to do the minimum to get it back on the road quickly. I need it running, and the leaks don't bother me. That rear main is already more than I really should do, but it won't take long.

Edited to add:
As soon as this is out of the shop it goes back to being my daily driver. Then I can finish up the new engine, drop it in the red truck, and get that on the road. Once that's solid and reliable, it can become the daily driver and I can redo the front end on the green plow truck - the front tires are wearing funny, so I'm trying to limit the miles I put on it.

A new motor for the brown truck is several projects down the list.
I play musical chairs with my vehicles too.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have way too many projects and I'm not good at finishing any of them. I need to get some completed, and that means not letting them grow and grow.

I did complete a couple of projects this summer. I cut down an axle and put it under a light plant, and cut down another trailer axle and built a trailer to put my welder on. They're both still yard art, but now they're mobile yard art. Here's the welder, another project a little way down the list. I want to go through it before I put any hours on it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have way too many projects and I'm not good at finishing any of them. I need to get some completed, and that means not letting them grow and grow.

I did complete a couple of projects this summer. I cut down an axle and put it under a light plant, and cut down another trailer axle and built a trailer to put my welder on. They're both still yard art, but now they're mobile yard art. Here's the welder, another project a little way down the list. I want to go through it before I put any hours on it.

Ooooooo....... and a JOHN DEERE TRACK LOADER!!!! OOOOOOOO..... AAHHHHHHHH......

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the track loader that runs, but needs work. The other one doesn't run...yet. Probably just needs a new injector pump, someday. I have way too many projects.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the track loader that runs, but needs work. The other one doesn't run...yet. Probably just needs a new injector pump, someday. I have way too many projects.
I used to have a 59 caterpillar D6 cable dozer. Alas, I needed money.......I miss my dozer.