Hay, Brick nose freaks!!!

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian, the awkward thing is that the new headlight lenses are fluted, and are going to disperse the light from the LED sealed beam lights. You won't get that DOT approved, sharp cutoff the ad boasts of.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to bite the bullet and get that Aussie kit, and some lights like the ones you linked to. I wish, now, that I hadn't bought the new headlamp assemblies for my '89 crewcab. Oh, well, I have a couple other trucks that need the fix. Maybe I'll put the new headlamp assemblies on the F-Superduty - it will never go fast enough to outdrive the stock headlights, anyway.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think I'm going to retrofit mine once they get here if I can get the lenses off safely..

I'm gonna try to get the lenses off tonight. Hopefully I don't have to dremel much once the projectors get here.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-Ebay clear lense headlights
-G5-R projectors
-Hylux 2a88 35w ballasts w/d2s adapters
-Morimoto d2s XB 5500k bulbs
-Apollo 3.0 shrouds
-MotoControl 9007/9004 headlight relay
-Morimoto black headlight sealant
-Mini HolD2rs bulb holders

I chose to go with those projectors because they were on sale and has a 35mm mounting stud. I dremeled out the hole where the bulb goes in the stock headlight and mounted the projectors.

I bought everything from Lightwerkz. It was $100 cheaper than anywhere else I could find because of the holiday sale they had going.

How much did you dremel the hole out? I'm getting Mini D2S projectors that have the locking ring on the back but I'm hoping I don't have to go too crazy with the dremel.

Last edited:

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to now quadruple post but I got mine today and tossed them in as is for now to see how they looked.. after I tried 10 minutes on 240 and wasn't able to budge the lenses.

You must be registered for see images attach

*edit* after driving it and using the lights out of the garage this part of what I thought was wrong.. it just looks brighter on a wall but the beam pattern isn't good.

That is an unbelievable jump in light quality. Even over my 150 that has nos factory lights with the same bulbs. That's the high beams so my fog lights didn't interfere. Low basically flips the beam upside down so the cutoff is on the top.

I'm going to go for a ride after dinner, I might be saving my hid kit for something else if these are this good since I can't get the housings off safely anyways.

Last edited:

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I drove it last night. It's no better than stock. It looks it on a wall and it might be better than old yellow lenses but it isn't better than new old stock lights. The beam pattern is everywhere and they are aimed too low and even if you adjust them up some it doesn't help much. I'd say if you have old gross lenses and like the looks of them go for it, but if your lights are good and you aren't planning a projector retrofit then don't bother.

On that note...

I'm going to retrofit mine as well.

These aren't sealed with byutol they are perma-sealed which means they are absolutely awful to separate. If anyone else wants to do this I'd highly advise you try to get the lenses off in steps but if you look at the edge of my lense you can see you are going to damage it some. The only saving grace on our vehicles is it's an edge you would never see. Also I had the old chrome beauty ring things around my lights and I can tell with a little trimming of the corners of those they will snap in place on these lenses which would cover the damage. Just not sure if that will look dumb yet. I'm just glad unless you popped the hood or shoved your head inside the bumper you won't be able to notice my little screw driver marks.

If you are gonna do this.. 12 minutes on 280, pry gently with the thinnest screw driver you can just to get enough separation to put a big flat head in.. 10 minutes on 280 then try to gain 1/4 with a big flat head. You will only be able to do 3 edges of the lights which makes it harder. 10 more minutes and really bend with the big screw driver. Your going to have to get the whole way around the 3 edges and then the portion of the light that faces towards the radiator your gonna want to with gloves on pull that out once you can tell it's coming apart.

It's not fun, but the lights will not melt at 280 so if you need more heat then do it. Just don't go more than 20 minutes at a time it isn't doing anything.

I've done a lot of retrofitting and these are the worst lights I've ever taken apart but when your eventual low and high beams look like this:

Man I'll be pumped to get these installed lol

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much did you dremel the hole out? I'm getting Mini D2S projectors that have the locking ring on the back but I'm hoping I don't have to go too crazy with the dremel.

I originally thought it would only require removing the portion where the bulb sits against the housing. But it required removing about ~.10" of material to get the projectors to slide through the hole. I was originally going to go with mini d2s but found the g5-r on sale.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I had the old chrome beauty ring things around my lights and I can tell with a little trimming of the corners of those they will snap in place on these lenses which would cover the damage.

Can you post up a pic of how the chrome fits around the lens? This is my biggest hold up on ordering a set. Will the Chrome mount to the lens in basically the same arrangement? Thanks

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will on the headlight part the turn signal portion I don't know that it will fit on. The headlight portion just needs material dremeled away in the 4 corners so it can fit over the slightly bigger headlight but I will say I didn't try and put it on and close the hood and see how it fits. I'll try and take a picture of that at some point.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they're in, cut the back bulb holder off even at the back of the rest of the housing, dremeled the nubs that hold the halogen bulb away and about another 1/16 of an inch inside the bulb holder area and the projector fit in real snug. Locking nuts on, hid bulb holder on, wired it all up which was super easy and it's in and looks perfect. The only issue is the high and low beam are backwards, I think in the last picture I'm going to have to swap 2 of the wires but I can't remember what is what and I'm brain dead for tonight. Here's some pictures!

Also I didn't put the covers back on yet but that's because I have one more surprise I'll share tomorrow when it gets here before I seal them up!

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And they're in, cut the back bulb holder off even at the back of the rest of the housing, dremeled the nubs that hold the halogen bulb away and about another 1/16 of an inch inside the bulb holder area and the projector fit in real snug. Locking nuts on, hid bulb holder on, wired it all up which was super easy and it's in and looks perfect. The only issue is the high and low beam are backwards, I think in the last picture I'm going to have to swap 2 of the wires but I can't remember what is what and I'm brain dead for tonight. Here's some pics

Also I didn't put the covers back on yet but that's because I have one more surprise I'll share tomorrow when it gets here before I seal them up!

You work fast! They look great! Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I also cut the bulb holder at the back of the housing off.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wasn't gonna get the bulb holder on without doing that. I'm trying to figure out which two wires I need to swap. I'm thinking red and green with a black stripe.. hopefully these are switched positive and not switched ground like 9007..

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to switch the wires on the truck side or the harness side? Either way shouldn't matter. I'm guessing you bought a 9007 harness?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It said it was for both but I'd assume switching it on the truck side is safer since it works as long as the truck side is switched power not ground.