Engine Preluber

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I realize this is expensive but.. Anyone feel it can lube our engines well enough before it starts. I did not look closely as to how this works nor did this company make one for our engines. But interesting anyway.I would never have thought about doing this off a starter. I know we have limited space for something like this too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRELUB-dies...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting concept. Wonder how much of a difference something like this would make to engine life as opposed to just letting it idle for 10-15 seconds before rolling out.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used to run Canton Accusump oilers on the racecars
The only time I've used on is on a 1939 farmall cub me and my dad restored... But that had a pedal you had to pump to prelude the engine lol

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best idea is to fill the oil galleries BEFORE you spin the engine. Just remember the cam rollers have no oil to them nor does the cylinder walls till the engine is running. Then the cylinders and cam gets sprayed very well by the piston oil cooler fog in the crankcase.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best idea is to fill the oil galleries BEFORE you spin the engine. Just remember the cam rollers have no oil to them nor does the cylinder walls till the engine is running. Then the cylinders and cam gets sprayed very well by the piston oil cooler fog in the crankcase.
What do you mean by fill oil galleries?

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old F-250 has a Pre-Luber on it a PO had installed. It had a intake hose on the oil pan drain that ran to an electric pump mounted on the frame rails that then pumper the oil up and dumped on the top of the engine. For the life of me I can't remember specifically where right now. Not sure, how much good it does, but it made changing the oil more hassle :dunno Not sure if I am going to move it to the F350 or not...

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The large stationary generators we used to have were manual pre-lube. Used a pump like below. Could probably rig up a cheapy barrel pump also.
You must be registered for see images attach

The modern generators we have now either omit the pre-lube completely (more wear sells more parts?) or have a motorized pump on a pressure switch.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even worry about it for a little engine like a 6.9. The equipment I've been around never get's a pre lube until around the 18l size, and even then it's rare. We've got 51 liter 3512 gen sets that go from stone cold to 1800 rpm just as fast as they can manage to reach high idle that have 12k-15k hour's on them, never a pre lube once, never had any problem's that would have been prevented if they did pre lube. The 2-3 seconds it take's oil to circulate in a small engine isn't worth the hassle.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. So would intentionally letting the starter crank a few more times before it firing up help this?
See... that's the thing. Every revolution pumps a certain amount of oil. It will take X revolutions to get that oil up to the parts that need it.
It doesn't matter if those X revolutions are done at cranking speed, idle, full throttle etc. It should have the same basic amount of wear(or lack thereof). It might actually be better for it to crank faster/run faster, as it gives less time for the oil to "drain back".

That being said... I'm not entirely sure pre-lubing matters except if you are building a new engine, or the first start in months.
Ever taken a valve cover off an IDI? Even after sitting for a while, there's still a nice film of oil on everything.

Heck, want to improve the oil film? Use heavier oil. I have a 7.3 I put the front and rear main seals in backwards, so I filled it with about 50% lucas oil stabilizer.
Went back a few months after I'd swapped it out and... still a nice layer of(clean, sticky) oil on everything.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger questions is if it's needed - what do you gain? Unless it's been sitting for a while, there should be a retained oil film in the bearings, some oil in galleries, etc, so it's not 100% dry. Further, how often do the bearings wear out? It seems to me that end of life due to bearing wear is uncommon - if you do have a bearing issue it's generally from abuse rather than normal wear. Pre lube woln't help ring/valve wear, injector/pump wear, etc and these are more common factors in engine life.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably better money spent on synthetic oils that flow better when there cold.
The only down side to starting an old motor on synthetic when it's used to dino is the potential for leaks to start rearing their ugly heads.