Hay, Brick nose freaks!!!

pafixitman

Reaction score
You know, I wonder how much the change in the design of headlights has effected the light output and pattern. I've noticed on the 2 vehicles that I have that use the conventional 900X "halogen" bulb seem to be so much brighter than the old seal beams, or early composite 900X headlights. (My Infiniti isn't a fair comparison since it has factory HID headlights).

I think the clear "flat" lens and faceted mirrors have something to do with it. All the OEM's switched to this style, so there must be a reason this change was made. Aiming the light with the mirror, instead of just reflecting it to be bent again to aim it at the lens. Changing the direction of light does add some attenuation. Good example is fiber optics. Every connector, bend in the fiber, splice takes some of the power of the light beam away. So manipulating the the light twice would reduce the light, even if it's just a tiny bit. Then throw in a fogged/cloudy/yellowed lens and now you usable light "outside" the housing is now less.

Not to hijack the original thread but IMHO design is now playing a huge part. I drive 121 miles one way leaving at 4:45 am. This time of the year I am driving in the dark pretty much both ways. Combination of highway and back roads. The new super duties with their C shaped stacked headlight on low kill me! I run into enough of them that it is not aftermarket / modified / hi beams. I have my own opinion on modified headlights. I give kudos to Brian for trying to make them as legal as possible. I run into enough non DOT approved lights on my commute it is not even funny.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the projectors are aimed properly they should never bother other drivers no matter how bright the bulbs are because of the horizontal cutoff. Any hid in reflectors however is total hell. These projectors as well as the G5-R projectors are dot legal, doesn't stop people from aiming then wring however.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Low beams were too low..

That's better. Could still be up some more but I can't adjust them more without getting to that stupid back adjuster that's inaccessible with the lights on the truck..

High beams are ridiculous. This doesn't do them justice because my camera adjusted too much for up close.

Low beams in my driveway facing the front yard.

And high beams.

Overall I'm very happy. The "white" intensity of the lights is like daylight my camera doesn't do justice how far out to the sides of the truck the projectors shine usable light but it's all below that horizontal cutoff and not in other drivers eyes unless I'm at the top of a hill and someone else is coming up the other way but that's unavoidable no matter how they are aimed. I can tell driving it they likely still need tilted up some, I'm no where near peoples field of vision driving with the low beams. It's a delicate grey area when your close though as what was just a small adjustment before can really be a lot when you start getting close to parallel with flat ground. I'm gonna try it like this and see if I need it tilted up more or not. High beams are your friend with these anyways when there's no other drivers near. I think I have them 95% aimed right but I didn't drive it enough to know for sure on a good flat road.. didn't wanna get any salt on the truck lol..

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting pics! It looks great. I'm almost finished with mine. I rewired my truck side headlight plug and the projector cut off sheilds move up when brights are off and when I turn the brights on the sheilds go down. I switched the low beam and high beam wires on the trucks headlight plug and it works as normal. I even used my volt meter to double check the wire functions before taking it apart and labeled the wires. Did you have that issue? I also depinned the cut off sheild wires and it didnt change.

Did you have that issue?

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished installing my lights. The adjuster rod for the bottom headlight adjuster doesnt fit the new headlight assemblies. I ended up drilling a hole in the core support on both sides so I can adjust it.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless your projectors arent mounted dead center in the hole you dremeled out I can guarantee you that you'll want to aim that back adjuster up a good bit before you test drive it.

My headlights if you stand by the side of the truck have to be angled like this \ some [from the passenger side I guess, the bottom of the light is out towards the front of the truck more than the top is what I'm trying to say lol]..

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your projectors arent mounted dead center in the hole you dremeled out I can guarantee you that you'll want to aim that back adjuster up a good bit before you test drive it.

My headlights if you stand by the side of the truck have to be angled like this \ some [from the passenger side I guess, the bottom of the light is out towards the front of the truck more than the top is what I'm trying to say lol]..

That makes sense. Currently my truck is parked on my sloped driveway so I have no idea where the lights are aimed. I think when I tightened the projectors they both rotated and I'm hoping I can rotate them back level once I find somewhere flat to aim them. I guess there will be some trial and error involved in.

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok stupidly I mounted the projectors upside down. I assumed the cut off sheild would go on top but it actually mounts on the bottom. I had to remove some jb weld that held the cut off sheild wires through the headlight housing and I was able to rotate the projectors. After adjusting the headlights I am extremely happy with the light output. It's so much better.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good! I drove mine to work yesterday for the first time since the roads were dry and I couldn't resist and man it was absurd. Never got high beamed once and could see like it was daytime.

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good! I drove mine to work yesterday for the first time since the roads were dry and I couldn't resist and man it was absurd. Never got high beamed once and could see like it was daytime.

That's why I have been driving mine to work. It really is a night and day difference lol.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
finally getting around to installing mine.
gonna eat lunch and decide what way I wanna go