Engine Preluber

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good idea in theory
Ever heard a mech cam or pissy lifter clatter at startup?

Same reason jets spool up first ,right? Not a jet guy.
Or the old radial, hit power, hit start, wait for pressures (oil,fuel) then hit ing.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See that's the thing, I'm not convinced it make's anything last longer. In the large engines it's almost always a liner o-ring leak, overheat or valve failure that kill's them. We don't even do a half life bearing replacement on anything anymore because it's not needed, they just don't wear much....unless something catastrophic happen's, then it gets interesting lol.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a freshly rebuilt or new engine should be oil primed before it's first initial start. After that, engine oil will leave a thin film behind, offering protection until oil pump catches up. And after an engine breaks in, metal parts have worn together which means friction is drastically reduced compared to a new engine. Don't really see the need since these engines aren't prone to premature bearing/ring wear.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See that's the thing, I'm not convinced it make's anything last longer. In the large engines it's almost always a liner o-ring leak, overheat or valve failure that kill's them. We don't even do a half life bearing replacement on anything anymore because it's not needed, they just don't wear much....unless something catastrophic happen's, then it gets interesting lol.
See but oil plays a role in everything in an engine, it cools those valves for example. I think the biggest wear item would be valve stems and turbo bearings that could see a benefit from this but you’re right bearings sure have come a long ways

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to pre lube a new engine or one that has been sitting forever get a clean bug sprayer. fill it with oil and connect a hose to where the oil pressure sender is.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
definatly not worth it for our old turds. having ran engines for over 5 mins with NO oil pressure and they are still out there working today, our engines are fine. i had an old EX200 hitachi excavator that always had a hammer or tamper on it. shook the machine to all hell, enough that the pickup tube fell off. idled it off the job onto the lowbed, idled off the lowbed and into the shop. fixed and shipped it. had 45 lbs oil pressure at idle cold. the pumps on our trucks are high volume pumps, oil gets to where it needs to be quick.

the aformentioned lifter tick and such, yes it may quiet it down but it isnt solving the problem. just like putting a electric lift up on to cure air intrusion.

not a single oil filter i install gets filled either. from my personal stuff to everything at work. takes 2 seconds of run time and the gauge is moving. its not like your firing it up and going to WOT full load right away.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a couple of you wealthy guys should buy the two the seller has, then install and let us know in the year 2025 if it was worth it.:Thumbs Up :flipa

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to pre lube a new engine or one that has been sitting forever get a clean bug sprayer. fill it with oil and connect a hose to where the oil pressure sender is.

Do you think a bug sprayer would really work? I mean, oil is a good bit thicker than spray stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online