GRRRR! Pick up mods that should be illegal

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't have a license plate light. Illegal.

So... I bought one and installed it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083Y0WL2

Sucker is almost as bright as my backup lights. (Also aftermarket lights, built into the bumper.)

Now I very rarely get people tailgating me after dark. Used to be all the time.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Once, while driving my (farmer) boss's 85 F250, I had someone decide to tailgate me without dimming the headlights. That truck had an adjustable spot light mounted through the A pillar. I just turned it around backwards and turned it on. That person backed off in a hurry.
This is my favorite one. Back in the early 90's, I had a 79 F150. Since I was about 20, I did go back home fairly often to visit and I always headed back to where I was living at about 4:30 Monday morning. There was a white S-10 (pretty new at the time) that would tailgate me with the high beams on at the same area every time. The driver would folow me for several miles before finally deciding to go around. The guy I bought the truck from built a 302 with a HUGE cam, had 33" tires on the back, and the truck had 2.75 (or so) gears. It was pretty useless for highway cruising at 55 MPH and had poor vacuum. This guy had also installed a "smoke screen". He rigged it up so that he could run a bottle of ATF into the intake and BOY would it smoke! I finally got tired of the S-10 tailgating me so I was ready for it to happen again. When it was right there in it's normal spot, I dropped the transmission out of drive and into second. Then I opened the smoke screen valve. When I saw a little smoke coming out or the side dump exhaust, I let off the throttle and watched the smoke roll. The S-10 decided to go around me pretty quick. Surprisingly enough (said sarcasticly), that solved the tailgating problem.
These days, Since I'm getting older, I just usually slow down when the tailgating at night starts. By the time I get from 65 down to 50 or so, they usually go around. Of course, I like to do a speed drop of at least 5MPH while we're going uphill with a double yellow line. There has been a time or two that I couldn't shake them at 45MPH so I've slowed down to 30MPH.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like SuperDaves idea alot. Maybe I can find a piece of aluminum and place that on the tailegate..... Put a small International Harvester bumper sticker on it..................The possibilities are endless.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like SuperDaves idea alot. Maybe I can find a piece of aluminum and place that on the tailegate..... Put a small International Harvester bumper sticker on it..................The possibilities are endless.

Seems like the least likely idea to get you arrested or followed and beaten hahaha. Do it nice and I bet it will look great too!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 types of people in the world....
ones that build chittie stuff..
ones that ***** about peoples stuff.
and ones that laugh and dont care..
i tend to find that minding your own business takes the stress out of life.
but you do you

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
People in Seattle do no look out for motorcycles...

South of Renton, while waiting in a commercial driveway to turn left on a Honda Elite 250 (scooter) some **** behind me went around me on my RIGHT and turned LEFT in front of me when I was about to go. Not even joking.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
We have a bunch of "street rodders" around here who modify their pickups in a way that should be illegal. They either raise the front of the vehicle or lower the rear of the vehicle . At night they can shine their headlights on the planet Mars; thereby blinding anybody in front of them. Its even worse as they approach you head on.

Headlights pointing sky-high will get you pulled over up here. And while he's writing you the Notice & Order for vehicle inspection (tick box 2), he'll see that butt-draggin suspension... make it a box 1 instead and call the towtruck. :Thumbs Up

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a bunch of "street rodders" around here who modify their pickups in a way that should be illegal. When we used to have our vehicles inspected long ago, the headlamps were checked. If they werent within spec, you did not receive your safety sticker. thats one program that needs to be revived.

You can't be proud to live in a state that deregulated everything, and then start complaining about how there isn't enough regulation.

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't be proud to live in a state that deregulated everything, and then start complaining about how there isn't enough regulation.

Sadly, it goes beyond state level. I live in a rural area just outside the city...and we have an increasing number of people moving out here because of city issues, typically HOA Nazis, restrictive city codes, high taxes, etc.

They move out here for the increased freedom, and then almost immediately, start whining about how the neighbors are doing annoying things, not taking care of their property to the newcomer's standards, making too much noise at night, their horses and other farm animals bringing in flies/manure stink, etc...which is always followed with "I'm calling the cops! I'm complaining to the county!" etc etc etc.

Thankfully we're still in a state of the cops/government not giving a rat's behind about us, so it's merely confined to Facebook whining right now, but I'm sure it will be changing over the next decade as the city creeps ever closer to us...

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I feel the same way about Kansas.

Of all the states I've driven through, Kansas has to be the worst in terms of the literal nothingness. Both times I drove from SD SE to NW TX, I never spent more than about a week in all of KS. Because there's so much nothing. Not even much good free camping or I would spend more time gong through. The one place I have stayed both times I went through, you have to be careful if it's gonna rain a lot due the dirt/mud road in. They can't spring for some gravel roads in an obviously popular fishing lake/campground? I end up saying no longer than a few days in that camp.

The only other state I spend less time in during that route is OK but that's on a technicality, due to the panhandle being between KS and TX.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Of all the states I've driven through, Kansas has to be the worst in terms of the literal nothingness.
There is that too. It's mostly the route that you took. Go farther east and it's different. Eastern Colorado is the same as the western part of Kansas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.