Got a turbo kit, some questions and install thread

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today I attempted to remove the studs from the manifold. Put my impact on the outside one and a bit of rattling and out she came. Went to the inside one and rounded it off bout right away . tigged a nut to the stud several different times and kept breaking off. Finally was broke off down to flush with the hex so I drilled out a 5/8 Nut and welded it on. That finally did the trick. Then ran a thread chaser through both holes so should be good to go.
Drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold for the pyro. I drilled the hole right behind the last exhaust port. Drilled it up from the underside. Worked good. Didn't wanna tap it too deep so went about halfway up the tap.
Pulled the oil drain casting back out and bolted it to the turbo first, per typ4's instructions. Hopefully can get that whole mess finagled back into place. Think rtv will be my friend on the valley pan grommet lol

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, when I had my head stuck in there working w the valley pan grommet, I noticed a hole that looks like it goes through the pan? Its a couple inches behind the CDR hole. It's maybe like a 3/8 square hole? Is there supposed to be a plug or something there?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the drain for any fluid that gets on top of the valley pan. It drains to the pass side of the block and onto the starter motor. If you remove the valley pan the drain holds it down. It threads into the block and a 3/8 extension will remove it. You might want to make sure it is clear and will allow fluid to drain.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the intake hat seal today from Russ. So of course, everything else I was doing had to stop for a while LOL . I got everything bolted up and the downpipe installed. Just need to wrap up the exhaust, build my intake system (still waiting on parts) install my pyro and boost gauges (ordered the Hypermax combo gauge) and build my catch can.

Super enthused to get it on the road and try it!!

I'm gonna wait to turn up the fuel till I get gauges installed. I already had some smoke n/a, so I'm guessing I won't have to turn it up much.

How much boost should I shoot for?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Really just adjust the fuel according to egts.
You can't really just adjust the boost.
Well you sort of can, but you get the point.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know ..... More fuel = more boost = higher EGT = MORE power LOL

No I really don't wanna have to do head gaskets so I'll probably try to keep it below 12psi....seems fairly safe.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah how do you do that? Do you shorten or lengthen the rod for more boost?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Couldn't tell you. Lol
I just know it can be done.
Somebody should come in that knows for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Hypermax combo gauge w aluminum cup. Where should I mount it? Don't wana have to tear the whole dash apart just to run a few wires and a hose lol.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this afternoon I got my pyro/boost gauge installed. I guess I probably wimped out by mounting below the dash, but it seemed too much of a pain to run wires up to the A-pillar corner.

Now I just need the elbow that I ordered for the turbo-to-intake-tube connection and should be ready to roll!!!!!!!!!

Fired it up a couple of times (couldn't resist) and it sounds mean!!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it all together this morning. Took it for a spin and wow....Awesome!!!

Thanks to all you who provided input. More is now needed lol.

So far, in the bit of test-driving I've done, I'm seeing around 1100 deg. on the pyro and about 7psi of boost. That's mashing on it like you mean it. Do you think the wastegate is opening already at 7psi?

Should I disconnect the wastegate hose and see what happens? (keeping an eagle eye on the boost & pyro)

I'd like the protection of a wastegate so I can be sure to not overboost it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online