Got a turbo kit, some questions and install thread

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to buy a turbo kit that I found on Craigslist. It's an ATS setup. It all looks to be in great shape. The turbo shaft has a slight bit of movement when wiggled from side to side, but basically none fore to aft.

Parts I'm missing: grommet for valley pan, seal for hat to intake, hat bolt (no biggie there), and any and all CDR parts/ fittings.

The guy was parting out the truck, so he pulled the body before pulling the turbo kit. Therefore, the downpipe, up-pipe, and y-collector are all still attached to the turbo.

Questions: Do I need to take everything apart to install this setup? If so, how is the best way to remove the downpipe?

I don't see a place to hook up the oil pressure sender on the turbo. Is something missing? There's a place for the oil feed line to thread in, and on either side of that is a bolt-hole. It's as though there's supposed to be something else there? Could I put the sender somewhere else?

Where could I get the above-mentioned grommet and gasket?

What should I do about the CDR situation?

Thanks for reading the first installment of many to come LOL

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my valley pan grommet from Ford.
The cdr stuff shouldn't be too big a deal, I made my own except for using the turbo valve cover.
The up pipe, y pipe and down pipe will have to be removed (at least I had to, to get it to clear the fire wall).

As for the oil feed and sender it sounds like your missing the factory cast piece that bolts on top, but not to worry cuz mine was cracked and leaking so I had to remove it and make everything work with brass fittings.

You must be registered for see images attach

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What sort of intake setup are you using?
Trying to decide if I'll use the ATS setup or if I should relocate my battery and build me a CAI. Thoughts?
Oh, by the way, your wastegate hose is missing LOL

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I built my own cold air intake.

Ya... About the wastegate hose haha. It's plugged. The turbo spins however much it pleases

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks sweet. How'd you do your CDR setup?

I already have a Hypermax cowl induction so hope i can use that. Where'd you get your filter and box?

Thanks

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt use the cdr. I made a road draft tube that just dumps the crank case vent out underneath the truck. That big round shiny thing in the picture is my filter and "box". It's an inline air filter setup, I got it on Amazon or eBay can't remember which. But it's a spectra brand

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My intake I kind of copied from a member on here by the name of sycostang I believe. It's the same filter and what not but he used it in conjunction with his hypermax cowl induction and it looks pretty slick

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Works very nicely I might had, thanks for showing that to me haha, Idk if I could have drummed that up all on my own

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the downpipe off this evening. That was a job. Had to unbolt the up pipe from the turbo, then build a plate to bolt on so i could clamp it in my vise solidly enough so it wouldnt slip. Then got a BIG channel lock type tool and with some heat, oil, and twisting this way and that she finally came. Cleaned out some loose rust inside the exhaust housing. Put in a missing bolt on the waste gate bracket. Pulled the truck in. Got the intake and CDR ripped off. Ordered a grommet for the valley pan, as well as that piece off Amazon that I'm gonna use instead of the ATS intake.
This install is a pain in the neck!! And I haven't even started going together yet!!! Lol

OK one more thing. Could I get some pics is how the gp controller is mounted? The kit I bought didn't come with any brackets, so I'll need to build my own. ATS manual has no pics. Thanks in advance!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved mine to the passenger fender well and rewired it, they last longer off the hot vibrating engine.

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a lot of work to install a complete turbo kit. I would get the valve covers if possible. They have some of the brackets you will need. NA and turbo uses the same CDR valve just a different location. Put my ford turbo on last year and wished I had did it sooner.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since didn't use the cdr on my truck a used that bracket on the valve cover and mounted my gpc, didn't have to cut or rewire anything just loosened some injector lines and took the return lines off (replaced them) and had enough wire in the factory harness to move it over there

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I had another look at the ATS instructions. It actually doesn't say you have to move the gpc. Is this true???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726