Got a turbo kit, some questions and install thread

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
All the screw does is limit the max travel of the metering valve. Back it out all the way, and then use the fuel screw to adjust your power/smoke/egt level

You sure about that?
I thought it was a lower rpm fuel adjustment.
Gonna see if I can find the post with what mel said about it. Can't remember.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
just take the lid off of a pump with the torque screw, and it will be perfectly clear.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read here and on FTE its for low rpm fueling. "They say" it makes no difference once you get above 1500 or so rpm. I talked to Mel / agnem on the phone and he says he takes the screw out and plugs the hole on his pumps.guess I could do that too.

Last edited:

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well went to get the timing checked first thing this morning. The place where I took it used a Stanadyne Time-trac timing meter. First check was 10 degrees. Several attempts and a few choice swear words by the tech later and we had it sitting at 8. On the drive home, boost seemed to come on a bit sooner....didn't really notice a whole lot of difference otherwise. At least now I know I'm where I need to be.

Thanks again to all who have given of their time and advice to make this install a reality! This forum is great!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well y'all just an update. Truck is doing awesome. I can't seem to stop abusing the skinny pedal lol. That whistle and the pull is addicting!

Still want to back out the torque screw just for giggles, and see if it makes any difference. I do get a puff of smoke if I load it down good before the boost builds, tho, so I'm guessing it won't make much difference.

weldertim

Reaction score
I'm installing an ATS system I picked up on CL now and will move the gp controller. Wondering if anyone did any insulation between the turbo and the firewall? I think I'll need to move the clutch line so it doesn't get cooked.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to move the clutch line. If you're worried about heat buy a turbo blanket and wrap your pipes, that will keep heat down

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to move the clutch line. If you're worried about heat buy a turbo blanket and wrap your pipes, that will keep heat down

That's something I'd like to do sometime yet. I'd do it more for quicker spoolup than anything tho. Should have done it before installation. Don't really relish the thought of tearing everything back apart lol

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I wrapped all mine before installation. If I had to go back and do it now I'd say to heck with that and roll with what I have. But as for the turbo blanket, you can put one if those on with the turbo on the truck. Might be a little tricky but doable.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just gonna throw this in.

After much thought and discussion here and on FTE, I decided to have my mechanic time my truck to 6* BTDC. He has a diesel shop just down the road from my shop, and he has worked on many IDI's. (he claims) I did a bit of work for him on some projects of his, and he agreed to time my truck in exchange for some of the work. Got it done this morning. Just went out and took it for a test run. Again, didn't notice a lot of difference, but it did seem to pick up a bit faster on the bottom end. I can easily spin the tires when the boost builds in first gear. EGTs were very close to the same, maybe just a bit cooler if anything, and boost was a bit higher, if anything. Again, I do think it made a noticeable improvement.

Just thought I'd add this to the discussion.