Got a turbo kit, some questions and install thread

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've read about doing that. If I understand correctly, all I'd need to do is a pushbutton with a keyed hot to the ignition side of the gp controller? would the WTS light still activate?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo guys, now we're talkin!!!!

got my truck back from the diesel mechanic. He put a new relay on which solved the glow plug problem.

Going back to Monday, I worked the snail gasket back into place, but didn't have a chance to test drive it. Today I took it for just a short run and hit 10 psi of boost no problem! Wow it goes so easy now lol.

Time to reconnect the wastegate and crank up the fuel.....

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next is an intercooler lol hey thanks for putting me on to the air intake setup like yours. Really sweet the way it turned out.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I like the way mine turned out too, beats the heck out of the stock airbox. Hurry up and get an intercooler in and take pics so I can copy what you do haha. Intercooler is next on my list also

ve290

Reaction score
Did you hook up the CDR valve yet? If you are running the CDR valve through the air intake, oil will seep out anywhere you have a boost leak post turbo. Also, banks sells a neat little cast aluminum piece for mounting the CDR if you don't have the valve covers. It bolts on to the front of the IP gear cover where the inspection plate is, you can run a hose from that and put the CDR wherever you want.

I'm also curious if the wait to start light would come on if you take the signal wire off the controller and wire in a momentary switch?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the CDR I fabbed me up a catch can, as follows: I came off the timing cover with a short piece of aluminum pipe, tig welded a 2-1/2" pipe 4-1/2" long to it, filled the larger pipe with steel wool with a stainless perforated metal screen on each end to keep bits of steel wool from being drawn into the intake, and from the top of that, a clear hose into the intake, post filter. So far I really like how it's working. The clear hose lets me see how much oil is going into the intake, and so far hasn't been really enough to talk about. Oh yes, I spaced the perforated metal pieces up from the bottom and down from the top so it wouldn't restrict airflow.

Thought about a pushbutton for the GPs but decided against it for now. Nice to have it stock in case someone else jumps in the truck.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took it for another little drive after re-connecting the wastegate. Can get it up to 9.5 psi or so empty. Should I leave it at that? Will turning up the fuel give more boost? EGT's are still upwards of 1000 degrees...

Oh yes When I had the WG disconnected I was able to get it to 12 psi no problem. Don't really wanna blow a head gasket though so thought I'd better turn it down....am I being a wimp and a fraidy-cat? LOL

Seriously tho, what's a good safe boost number for stock head bolts?

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around 12psi I believe is safe for stock head bolts. With my wg plugged the most boost I see is 13psi. But I don't think I have my fuel turned up as much as you because my exhaust hasn't gone above 1000 deg.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don't know. I haven't turned it up yet since I installed the turbo. I had some smoke n/a but nothing too obscene... think my gauge must read a little high? Got the probe in the drivers side exhaust manifold clear in the back if that makes any diff...

My diesel mechanic down the street says I for sure shouldn't go over 10psi

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my probe in the exhaust manifold, right in between the front 2 and back 2 cylinders. As far as not going over 10psi I'm not sure about. I regularly boost over 10. I believe the general consensus around here is 12-13psi is safe on stock bolts.
I plan on studding my heads so I'll run mine till they blow and then go from there.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have had my WG set to 12psi for several years now. I usually only get that much pressure when hauling though.