Got a turbo kit, some questions and install thread

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey got another question for y'all. Is it worth it to get it retimed? I've read that 7* is better for turbo spool up. Also that turning up the fuel advances the timing slightly. I had it timed to 8.5 last year when they replaced/ rebuilt IP and injectors. Since then I've turned it up a bit and want to some more.
Your thoughts?

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to play with my timing a little bit since I actually have a good meter. I have my timing at 8 deg right now. It doesn't spool up real good until about 2000rpm. I think if I back it down to 7 or so it should help. Once I play with mine a little I'll be able to get back to you with results.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well following the advice of some FTE members, I turned my wastegate up. Went for a drive and was able to hit 13 psi. Not sure if the wg was opening or not as there wasn't a noticeable " bump" on the gauge at the peak. Think I'm out of fuel. Gonna turn that up next. Thinking another flat??

Then timing to 7* and see what happens :D....

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with my higher boost I didn't see over 1000 degrees. Think another flat should be no problem.

Gonna get it timed Monday morning.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines turning about the same boost empty, but I can't get my egts up to 1000. Loaded they pretty much stop at 1000 and boost can get to 14-15. Whenever I time mine again I'll probably turn the fuel up more

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if you don't see as high EGT's because your truck's a standard cab w/4.10 gears. Not as much load on the engine? That boost and EGT reading was wide open in 4th gear... Doing upwards of 75 mph lol...

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt.

I rev about 2k at 70mph in overdrive.

Don't use my truck for huge loads all that often so it works great for what I need.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys do I need to mess with the torque screw on the IP?? I have a v-belt but the guy that rebuilt the pump said it was a newer style pump. I think it'd have the torque screw. Is it worth tweaking with?

Black dawg

Reaction score
if you want the full amount of fuel that you have the leaf spring screw adusted to, then yes the torque screw needs backed out.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read everything from turning it out a quarter turn at a time to turning it out three turns... What's the right way?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can always turn it out a ways, the turn it back a little at a time, until the smoke goes away.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
All the screw does is limit the max travel of the metering valve. Back it out all the way, and then use the fuel screw to adjust your power/smoke/egt level