Got a turbo kit, some questions and install thread

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No expert here but that seems like a lot of EGT empty.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I mounted the pyro in the driver's side exhaust manifold. Put it in right before where the casting starts to curve down toward the flange. So I've got it quite close to the cylinder I suppose? Is that why it goes so high?

I have the full 3" dia downpipe (no flattening) and a cowl induction setup. I think I just need more boost lol

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I unhooked the WG on mine and turned the fuel screw about 2 full rounds.
My egt probe is in the middle of the manifold, egts empty running it like I stole it never get above 900. Boost tops out at 13psi and that's at the governor at about 3500rpm.
Blows a puff of smoke when you first stand on it then it cleans up when the turbo starts to light

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so what's up? I shortened the wastegate rod and went for a drive. Still 7-8 psi... Unhooked the wg completely next and still the same.

Don't really wanna turn up the fuel to get more boost if I'm already so hot egt-wise.

Turbo shot?

By the way, I haven't noticed any smoke at all. Was getting a fair amount N/A.

I still think that EGT's are so high because of where the pyro is. I drilled up from the bottom. Tried to more or less center the end of the thermocouple probe in the exhaust stream.

Surely I'd be getting some smoke if it was overfueled?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the pump and injectors worked over late last year, by a reputable shop, Diesel Control Technicians, Hutchinson KS. They are a Stanadyne dealer and the owner has had several IDI's himself. He timed it to (he claimed) 8.5 degrees. Since then, I've turned up the fuel maybe a flat....

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so after some more test driving here's some data. Keep in mind the wastegate hose is unhooked and plugged at this point.

70 mph - 1-2psi boost 6-700 deg pyro

60 mph - no boost shown 600 pyro still hear turbo whistle

Sound about right?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm I don't know guys. I don't see how there could be much of a leak in the intake system. The oring and turbo seal are all in place and looked good when o assembled things. Exhaust maybe but I sure haven't heard any ticking or anything....truck sure runs nice and smooth and quieter than before.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would I check for boost leaks? Can't build boost idling in neutral lol is there some good way to check?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it would work or not but you might try the old propane trick for finding vacuum leaks on a gasser. :dunno

I'd say just take a close look at all your connections and your intake hat.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Soapy water around all the connections and joints, and Rev it up by hand.
Only problem with the propane trick, is you're looking for a pressure leak, not a vacuum. Plus gotta be careful, because it could cause a runaway.
You can also pressurized the system with the engine off and a air compressor. Gotta block of the exhaust, make an adapter to fit in place of the air filter, and limit it to like 20 psi.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems strange to me that I wouldn't notice something obvious. I mean I'm 5-7 psi lower than lots of y'all with higher egt? Something's skewed here maybe my pyro reads high? Its a mechanical gauge, so the only wires going to it are the two wires from the probe... No power or ground needed. I even called Hypermax to make sure that was right and they said yes, that's the way it works. Don't know what's going on!!