Glow plug in intake runner???

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is the #6 glow plug supposed to be in the intake runner on the top of the engine? There is no hole in the head where I think it is supposed to go.

Tim.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is the #6 glow plug supposed to be in the intake runner on the top of the engine? There is no hole in the head where I think it is supposed to go.

Tim.

In the head...NOT in the intake....something amiss

PICS???

Al

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll snap a pic this weekend. It was in a hole in the intake that doesn't seem to be threaded with a ground wire wrapped around it. :mad: No hole where it's supposed to go...I see a depression there. Not sure what's in the hole. And the plugs are Autolites. :(

I haven't been able to get the truck to start since I got it home. I think I got rooked.

Tim.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get too discouraged yet... It will come around. Obviously, there are some issues with the glow plug system. You get that all worked out and everything will get much easier. There isn't too much that will keep it from starting that isn't well documented on this site. Good luck with it. Once it is all worked out, I bet you will be a happy camper with the truck you bought.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's my guess. Snapped off or they stripped the threads. Just make you wonder what other kind of mickey mousing has been done.

I tested all the plugs except the ones under the turbo. The only one that was bad was the hacked one in the intake and it may just be that it wasn't grounded well. They are Autolites anyway so out they come before they do go bad.

My symptom is that the Wait to Start light flashes on for a mere moment and the relay clicks once a second or so for 30 - 40 seconds. I thought it would turn out to be a bunch of bad plugs. I guess, maybe it's the controller.

Tim.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a short wait to start light. It should be on longer than that. All the clicks after the WTS light go off are a cool down cycle that is supposed to keep the fuel burning well at startup. It is supposed to do that, but your initial start of the day should be around 8 seconds or so. I have heard that even 1 or 2 bad plugs can throw off the controller.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check the ground that bogus glow plug was wired to. Maybe it wasn't a good ground source.

Otherwise, it looks like I can bypass the controller if I simply short the passenger/front relay terminal to ground (controller is in stock location at the back of the block).

It'd be great if I could start this thing. Then I can worry about replacing the plugs with Motorcraft (already ordered) and making sure the controller is good.

Tim.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plug it in. it will start without the glow plugs, just takes longer. Unless it is very cold out, that is. Something to try anyway.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I have that option, too. It'll require a heck of an extension cord to get from the house to where the truck is sitting though. And no guarantee the block heater is good. ;) Worth a test anyway.

Tim.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well a glow plug has never been factory installed in the intake manifold. So this sounds like a custom thing. As for the missing plug in number 6 location.. No, thats not possible. there is a drilled and tapped hole there. Now it could be broken off in there too. Even if it is a problem you can replace the head and be done with that issue. As for the plug in the intake. No big deal there either. Just remove it and JB Weld the hole. As for autolites.. They are terrible. Good thing is you have a set of Berus on order. After all the new plugs are in and working you may find no other glow plug issues with the controller. Seems odd that someone would think that a glow plug in the intake runner will work the same as in the precup. It is heating the air going in but it does nothing to ignite the fuel in the precups like all the other plugs are doing.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Someone could have mickey moused wired up a glow plug to run outside of its proper location just to trick the controller that all the plugs are working. Due to a possible broken plug in the head, they may not have been able to have a complete set of 8 plugs cycling to keep the controller in check. I did this once except I had to wire up two plugs! I made a pipe that bolted to the manifold and glow plugs fits securely inside. Plugged the harness connectors from the two broken plugs into the plugs in my contraption, and the controller cycled again thinking that it had 8 plugs working.
This was on a 92 that I had to get running during a cold snap. It was either pull the heads and do it properly (out in the cold), wire up a manual switch (didn't have a switch or any wire on me that day), use ether, or do what I did. I made it as safe as is could be and that truck ran that way until that spring, when a manual switch was wired up on a nice warm sunny day. Sure, its mickey mouse. But it did the trick.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It finally fired up.

I put the relocated glow plug back into the intake and ran a ground to the intake instead of trying to wrap the wire around the glow plug as the PO had done. Wait to start was on for only 4 or 5 seconds. Ran a little smokey until it warmed up. I'm sure it helped that it was 10 degrees warmer today, too. :)

Now back to my original issues. Run a real oil pressure gauge and make sure the SCAs are in spec.

EDIT: A picture for posterity. Can't really see what's going on with the glow plug hole in the head, but it's just filled in with a little depression left.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tim.

Last edited: