Front pumpkin leaking grease/oil...

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Any help on why my front pumpkin is leaking oil/grease? Went out and moved my truck and there was a puddle of sludge under it.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's your pumpkin? Oil leaking from the motor can cover the differential and make it appear that the pumpkin is leaking.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
No Im sure. It left a pile of it and its too sludgy to be engine oil. And it stinks like gear oil too

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Check your lift pump, and valve covers, thats where I found my oil leaks, and by the time they ran down the hot engine, frame, etc. collecting dust and dirt and grime on the way down, it gave me the same feeling, worth a looking at.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IT's either coming out the pinion seal/axle seals or the diff cover/pumpkin clean it all off really good, then watch for the leak...park over some cardboard and you can see where the drips come from fairly quick...

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
seems to be leaking out from the left side of it where the left axle slides into the pumpkin. Like in between the spring shackles and the pumpkin.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems to be leaking out from the left side of it where the left axle slides into the pumpkin. Like in between the spring shackles and the pumpkin.

Sounds to me that the axle seal is gone, means pulling both axles undoing drive shaft and the bolts retaining the pumpkin in place...removing pumpkin, then carrier then seals and replace...IIRC. Good time to drill out a hole on bottom of pumpkin and add a pipe plug for future drain/fill maintenance.

Have fun...it's messy!

sassyrel

Reaction score
Sounds to me that the axle seal is gone, means pulling both axles undoing drive shaft and the bolts retaining the pumpkin in place...removing pumpkin, then carrier then seals and replace...IIRC. Good time to drill out a hole on bottom of pumpkin and add a pipe plug for future drain/fill maintenance.

Have fun...it's messy!

and to add to what riot said,,you HAVE to remove the pumpkin,,to get the seals in.. they come in,from the inside!!!! you will need a L O N G pipe,,and a socket,,to hammer the seals in place.. you want them going in STRAIGHT!!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and to add to what riot said,,you HAVE to remove the pumpkin,,to get the seals in.. they come in,from the inside!!!! you will need a L O N G pipe,,and a socket,,to hammer the seals in place.. you want them going in STRAIGHT!!!

Two options/opinions....long pipe and socket approach or long redi thread rod and large washers and draw it in if you can that way....both work...both can be a summer time near the lake or ocean..front property too...LOL

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Seems like a complicated job. Not too sure on how to take the pumpkin off. Do you mean just take the cover off of it? And why do I have to pull both axles if only the left one is leaking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726