Front pumpkin leaking grease/oil...

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I thought I could just take the hub apart and pull the left axles that are connected with a u-joint, then take the cover off and take the ring gear out and shouldnt the seal be right there?

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the Dana 50 axle, you do not need to take everything apart to replace the seal. It installs from outside. Just pull that axle, and there is a hole in the bottom of tube to insert a punch to remove the seal. Use a large socket and extension to drive new seal in place. Drive it straight. I just did this on my 93, and it worked fine. real easy job.

PR

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://dieselpowerman.tripod.com/Front Axle Tech/Front Axle Tech.htm

Here's a link I found. Check it out and see what you guys think if it'll work.

NOPE that's a solid axle dodge...seems we may have an easier solution according too the previous poster...PakRat239

Really we should have determined the model of axle before the advice...LOL as it is important and there are subtle differences between them....

I'm not sure I haven't seen a 44...chicken wing if it's got that same hole as the 50...I'll look on my Bronco later...I actually did not know that one could do the seal without pulling the pumpkin out on the 50TTB, interesting.

Thats one reason I love this site...so much to learn!

As for pulling the axle on TTB or a D60, yes remove hub, remove spindle (if you can, known to be nasty), withdraw axle, (now is good time to replace Ujoints too...and repack wheel bearings and replace inner WB seals...and if you are in ONE side, it would be wise to do the other at the same time(new axle seal, repack wb and seal and maybe ujoints too! Then you won't be doing this twice...once now and once later down the road, OR JUST ALL AT ONCE...your choice!

Breather is a hose that connects to top of diff (cant recall exactly where on 44/50 but leads upwards to cross member and is clipped up there, there should be a plastic cap on it. It has three wings that stick into the hose allowing air to escape and enter...AKA diff breath...if it's plugged and the oil heats up...hot air forces oil out seals as it expands...

Pull the hose off the diff, and attempt to blow through it...watch out gear oil tastes nasty...but it's gotta be done....if you can blow through it...yer golden

Gavin the PUMPKIN is the portion of the front diff that unbolts from the TTB swing arm/chicken wing and you can take into the shop and work on the carrier...Pumpkin is a generic term for a removable diff...like Toyota/Ford 9" Dana 44/55 TTB etc

This pic shows the TTB swing arm/diff cover...the PUMPKIN is what bolts to the other side...it's the big cast iron part that axles come out of and the pinion sticks out that the drive shaft attaches too.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Did my seal today. Was a pain in the **** but I got it done in 4 hours. Only troubles I had was getting my spindle off and my seal was seperated from my dust cover and it was seized on there so I had to use a punch and work it out. But overall not a bad job at all. Doesn't leak a drop. Thanks guys for all the help!!

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
And by the way, pulled my front axle tag off. It reads;
3.54 (upside down triangle)E6TA ZA
(upside down triangle)610254-1