Grease gun recommendations?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4WD truck has a lot of grease fittings. I have two older crappy grease guns that leak everywhere, don't prime, etc. and I've had enough. Buying another cheapo is a gamble as the reviews for every model are split, and there's a good chance it won't even work once!

So, what model do you recommend? thanks.

ihc1470

Reaction score
Can not go wrong with a Milwaukee M18 however if all you are greasing is the truck then it would be way over kill. Lincoln pistol grip I have had good luck with also.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two tractors and a bush hog also, but rarely use them... the M18 looks nice, but the price doesn't ;) I agree it'd be overkill all right.

I'm leaning towards a Lincoln 1147 after reading a lot of threads and reviews.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a sales email from Tractor Supply on their Dewalt battery-powered grease gun...save about 50 bucks...

If I did not have a Lincoln that I bought about six years ago that is still working I would buy the Dewalt...

Saves a lot of time when you got a lot of greasing to do...

Store your tubes vertical....less chance of an air bubble messing you up at about half-tube...

It is an art to bleed the air and keep 'em working...but you will eventually get the hang of it if you have the patience...

I want to buy the Dewalt...but I need other things...

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a sales email from Tractor Supply on their Dewalt battery-powered grease gun...save about 50 bucks...

If I did not have a Lincoln that I bought about six years ago that is still working I would buy the Dewalt...

Saves a lot of time when you got a lot of greasing to do...

Store your tubes vertical....less chance of an air bubble messing you up at about half-tube...

It is an art to bleed the air and keep 'em working...but you will eventually get the hang of it if you have the patience...

I want to buy the Dewalt...but I need other things...
I use a DeWALT. Doesn’t pump CAT pin grease super well, so I just use a hand pump for that and the DeWALT for the Valvoline bearing grease

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score

This.

I have cheap manual guns and they work fine. A pistol grip with a flex hose is my goto. I also have a lever one with a hard wand.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That! is a very clever Idea!!! Btw, I have a regular lincoln as well for at least 10 years now.
what do you (all of you) do to store the lube gun in hot weather so that it doesn't become a big mess???

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That! is a very clever Idea!!! Btw, I have a regular lincoln as well for at least 10 years now.
what do you (all of you) do to store the lube gun in hot weather so that it doesn't become a big mess???
I leave mine empty. Just take the tube out and cap one end, and take a cap from a used up tube and jam on the other end. And take some brake clean and a rag and get all the grease off the outside.

I keep my greasing stuff in my shop, not in my truck.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying the Lincoln 1142 (in stock at O'Reilly for only a couple bucks more than Amazon) and swapping the flex hose from my old gun. So far I got the air out easy enough (fountain stream of grease when I leaned on the follower handle, and it squirted when I worked the lever) but didn't feel like crawling under the truck to see if it would work on a ball joint :rolleyes:
My old gun seals are completely shot. One loads from a bucket/hand pump... I started filling it and grease came out the back end (rod hole). Even if I could find the right repair kit, they seem to be more expensive as just buying a new cheapo.

ihc1470

Reaction score
I go through at least one 5 gallon bucket which I think is 15 pounds of grease a year here. I bulk fill the M18. On some equipment that I grease I have to fill the gun twice. Most I can get by on one filling. I actually own 3 of the M18 guns and have one pistol grip which seldom is used anymore. I farm for a living.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don`t remember when I bought mine, at least 20 years ago +. has the long pump lever and added an 18" hose. Works every time I use it, only problem I need to replace the end that goes in the Zerk, worn out and hard to get on some times.

I just buy the grease tubes to refill it, but if the end gets dented, it won`t seal when it is screwed together.

When I was working we had grease in 5 gal buckets. It sat on a 4 wheeled dolly that the top piece sat on the bucket with the long suction tube. Then add air to pump the grease to lube the Graders, Back Hoes and Trucks etc...
To fill the Grease Guns, there was a zerk on the top of the Gun to fill it. Or unscrew the Gun, stick the end into the Bucket and pull back on the end lever and suck it full of grease.
This was before we ever had the Grease Tubes.

I don`t need anything too fancy to grease the few zerks on the 86 or the Kioti or JD Tractor.

Goat

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Store it in a bag...and deal with it....my brightness stopped with that one...

(Clint Eastwood...with a husky voice...) "A Man's got to know his limitations..."

What kind of grease are you using...? I like the red EP tacky stuff..

Actually....the Lincoln unit I have is in a case and I have never noticed any serious leaks...it must be sealed up pretty well.

I still am eyeballing that Dewalt unit, though...

I would have bought one six years ago...but I got a good deal on the one I have now...sort of one of those 'loss leader' kind of deals, probably...

jbm6900

Reaction score
Alemite A500 made in USA, (used to be anyway). As others said, store the cartridges vertically. In florida heat I store the gun vertically too. Works every time. I got 3 or 4 hoses joined together for ease of use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online