Sterling 10.25 oil leak

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all ! looking for some help to fix an oil leak on a Sterling 10.25. I noticed a couple days ago Its leaking oil around where the U_joint is. I'm not familiar with these so Im not sure what seals are involved with repairing this. Thanks!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Hello all ! looking for some help to fix an oil leak on a Sterling 10.25. I noticed a couple days ago Its leaking oil around where the U_joint is. I'm not familiar with these so Im not sure what seals are involved with repairing this. Thanks!
it's more than just a seal. it's a crush washer and the differential needs a preload put on. done wrong, it'll destroy the gears.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Check you axle vent tube to make sure its not plugged. If its not plugged the pinion seal is failing.

Find a shop that deals with axles to replaced the seal. Its not as simple as just unbolting the yoke and changing the seal. A new crush sleeve has to be installed and the bearing pre load has to be set.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like the pinion seals usually leak because the pinion bearing is loose and allowing the pinion to move around. If that bearing is bad, I would just find a good used axle to swap in. That’s what I did.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely start by checking the axle vent tube first. Read up a little more to get educated on the parts and procedures involved for a repair. I really want to have the experience of going through it but also cant afford to have the truck down while I figure it out. It looks like it could be as easy as just re- tourqing the pinion nut or involving pulling both axles. Is this something that can reasonably be done in a weekend if you have the parts?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done this to several axles including these. Take the driveshaft loose, take the nut loose, replace the seal, and then re-install the nut. No crush sleeve needed.

Getting the nut loose if it's not loose already can be a problem. The best way is with a large impact gun. If you are using a breaker bar, it's difficult to jack the truck up high enough to use the bar, and also hold the truck steady so you can turn the nut. Impact gun is the way to go.

On the crush sleeve thing, the crush sleeve sets the pinion bearing pre-load. The distance between the bearings can vary during production, so the cheap easy way was to use a sleeve that will crush and shrink with a given torque and pre-load or put tension on the bearings. When you get there, the pre-load has already been set, the sleeve has already been crushed to the correct distance. All you are doing is putting it back the way it was. It takes a lot of torque on the nut to crush the sleeve, so you do not need to worry about getting the nut too tight and crushing the sleeve anymore.

These nuts do like to work loose, it was a known problem with these rearends. A little locktight can help it from coming loose again once you get it tight.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated franklin2. That makes me feel a bit better tackling this. In what case would use the crush sleeve eliminator. Would that be used when replacing the bearing? Just trying to wrap my head around all this.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are doing a complete rebuild, you could use the eliminator kit. But you will have to put it together and take it apart several times to get the pinion shimmed correctly. That is why the factory went with the crush sleeve. Tighten it down and go on the assembly line.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the seal purchased today so planning to get into it next weekend. Thanks for all the help. I will post the results. Fingers crossed!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got the seal purchased today so planning to get into it next weekend. Thanks for all the help. I will post the results. Fingers crossed!
If you get in there and need stuff , let me know.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Whenever changing a pinion seal on a crush-sleeve diff, i make sure I have a a crush sleeve eliminator to go on at the same time.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for checking in guys. I have a new seal and crush sleeve eliminator I got from Russ( good to hear from you Russ, I will definitely pay a visit If I need anything thanks). Do I need to replace bearing when doing the seal. Since I havent done this I dont know how its assembled. I know the pinion nut is first beyond that beyond that i figured I would wing it.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would re-use the bearing unless its shot. If one is bad, I'd renew both at the same time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online