Factory turbo trucks...

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, but there were dealer turbo'd trucks and cans with diffeent turbo setups available at different times.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but there were dealer turbo'd trucks and cans with diffeent turbo setups available at different times.

How can I tell what setup my truck has? And if it was factory or dealer turbo'd? Is there anything in the VIN that would tell me?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Generally the factory turbo trucks had a small "TURBO DIESEL" emblem on the fender, who kows if it might be missing though

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally the factory turbo trucks had a small "TURBO DIESEL" emblem on the fender, who kows if it might be missing though

Alright cool. My truck has those emblems. So then I have an ATS wastegated turbo huh?

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would bet so.

For some reason I thought that the factory turbo was a garrett. I done even know why I thought that...probably because I seen them on ebay so much in the past. Is the ATS turbo any good?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Search on here for ATS 093, should be plenty of reading, I cant comment as Ive never run a stock 093 setup.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
How can I tell what setup my truck has? And if it was factory or dealer turbo'd? Is there anything in the VIN that would tell me?
Engine code (8th digit)

I = 6.9 IDI
M = 7.3 IDI NA
K = 7.3 IDI turbo
F = 7.3 DI turbo Power Stroke

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before believeing all that posted here so far you could have any turbo on the engine. These are older engines and owners have been known to do some snack work swapping out parts to make something look original. My 89 crewcab has the fender badges telling you that its a banks turbo on it. Well some might think thats a factory installled option. Nope. I live about 30 miles from Banks so I had them install it for me. That was a long 8 hour day sitting there watching thru the big window as two techs worked on my rig. I was only getting the turbo installed. When I heard the muffler hit the ground I looked out to see those guys had cut off all my exhaust from the down pipe all the way back to the tail pipe. Well gees guys.. I'm not paying for that. Next thing I see is they are reinstalling it... Darwinw Award winners right there.. That or window lickers... I finally ditched all the exhaust system for a straight piped 4 inch long ass pipe. To see that sitting on the weld shop table I was wondering how they would snake it in. But they did. A turboed straight piped idi comes to life when you put them to work. But then again any diesel will bark when you squeeze down on the throttle pulling a load or a grade loaded..:angel:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Garret made the turbo...ats re-packaged them for the most part. The factory turbo version has a small exhaust housing and small exhaust outlet that the down pipe connects to.

The "aftermarket" 093 kits had a bit bigger exhaust housing and had a slip fit 3" outlet for the down pipe.

Now provided nobody has done any parts swapping on your truck, if it is a true factory turbo then the top of the air cleaner box will say "ford turbo" on it. The aftermarket ats version will say "ATS turbo" on it.