7.3 idi factory ats turbo wastegate

Nickdusey

Reaction score
My question is can you use a adjustable wastegate for a 7.3 powerstroke on these factory turbo idi's? Or are there better ways to adjust the stock wastegate like plugging it or somehow adjusting the stock wastegate. Or installing some sort of boost controller.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
What are you trying to achieve? Will be easier to answer your question. Lots of guys simply clamp or disconnect the reference line and plug it, so the wastegate never opens.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep just unplug the reference hose and plug it. You'll get up to 14-15psi with enough fuel. But the gate starts to blow open at 12-13psi anyway.

Tell us what you're up to so we can :popcorn

Nickdusey

Reaction score
What are you trying to achieve? Will be easier to answer your question. Lots of guys simply clamp or disconnect the reference line and plug it, so the wastegate never opens.
Yep just unplug the reference hose and plug it. You'll get up to 14-15psi with enough fuel. But the gate starts to blow open at 12-13psi anyway.

Tell us what you're up to so we can :popcorn
How would you go about plugging it? I'm just trying to make more boost it seems to be set at about 6 or so.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Take line off wastegate, plug line with bolt. Wire wastegate arm in its closed position.
Low boost could also be other things, like a boost leak, low thermal energy from the exhaust, like an exhaust leak, wastegate could be opening early...

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Others who run higher boost can offer better info however I think there's a point where studs are necessary to avoid blowing head gaskets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online