Factory bullnose wheels

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I like those old brochure ads. First I've seen for Centurion.

Way rather have a proper OD trans than an electric-shift OD splitter.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold it on CL a few years back, before I even knew about this website. Go for the ZF5, I really didn't like the GV. I'm sure some people like them, but I didn't trust it. If you were slowing down and didn't kick it out of OD just right, it would make the whole truck start a shimmy shake thing that was unnerving.
Good info. Thank you.
This is my first diesel and I'm having really tough time trying to love it.
But I REALLY appreciate the simplicity and being able to work on it myself. Which was my reasoning for buying it. The top speed of the C6 isn't helping. Even though I rarely need to go more than 60mph.
It just bothers me to hear high rev's unless it's a 2-stroke. ;-)

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The top speed of the C6 isn't helping. Even though I rarely need to go more than 60mph.
E4OD is an option too. But that's big $$$ and technically marvelous. Or 3:55 gears and there's supposed to be a 3:08 gear out there, but either one of those will help you out.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to stop myself from thinking this but...
When I get everything sorted out ( I'm pretty much there)...I might try to sell it.
But then what the heck will I replace it with? I don't want any of the modern crap.
I guess I'll be looking for a trade for a gasser. Which will probably have me going through another year of getting it "sorted out". Ugh.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'd do a ZF swap if changing anything. Not expensive or hard to find. It will feel like 50% more power, plus overdrive.

I would add another F250/350 to the fleet before replacing it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Perfectly understandable. It's an old beater, but I LOVE this thing. With the octane boost I run in it, it almost smells like it's using race gas.

Attachments

• 102_3410.JPG
    102_3410.JPG
    658.6 KB · Views: 5

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great bikes.
I always advise anyone looking for an affordable/reliable/do-it-all bike to look for a KDX.
If it got Fredette through all of those ISDE races it's gotta be a good bike.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yep. It's a 97 KX250 that I've had since April or May of 2005. It still has the same tires that I bought it with. It's about time to do a little bit of updating though. Here's a little hint. I say that I want it to look like a two wheeled Monster Energy can.

Attachments

• 102_3459.JPG
    102_3459.JPG
    622.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 102_3464.JPG
    102_3464.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 3

Black dawg

Reaction score
I sold it on CL a few years back, before I even knew about this website. Go for the ZF5, I really didn't like the GV. I'm sure some people like them, but I didn't trust it. If you were slowing down and didn't kick it out of OD just right, it would make the whole truck start a shimmy shake thing that was unnerving.
I wonder what was up with it, they dont typically act like that. I do know that they arent very strong in reverse (with od disengaged) and also do handle being used under compression braking very well.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
They are supposed to work properly with the controller. Afaik, they can also be used with discrete switches, but it takes some getting used to the ins and outs.

Here is a description of the operation

Admittedly, Im too visual to make full sense of it. It sounds like the clutches are directional, so loaded decel going forward is asking it to work outside design parameters.

My neighbour had an excellent and short description of the operation (which I fail to remember.) The jist was simple to the extent of flimsy, and he decided to not put his GV in his dodge dually.

Black dawg

Reaction score
From what I have seen, the controller (and the wiring) is the least dependable part.

I have been around quite a few of them, and have seen them fail from backing up heavy loads. I still have one in a truck, and have used it during compression braking for many miles without issue, but I have been very careful about the backing up part., The truck I have it in has a 4spd, 5.13 gears and 40s, with a detroit banging on the back of it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was behind a C6 and 4:11 gears. When I first got the truck running and driving the GV shifted fine. But over a few months I guess, it's been 6-7yrs ago and I don't remember specifics, it quit shifting into and out of OD correctly and then it got to where you had to manually shift it(by manually I mean using the button). And after a bit I just decided that I didn't trust it. I only got a smart phone about 3yrs ago and I didn't have a computer and no one I knew even knew what the thing was, so I scored a 85 truck with a bad engine and a good 4speed. If you have to know I sold the tranny and GV for $250, it went fast! But I didn't care, it "felt" flemsy. I haven't studied them, but my guess was it was some type of planetary gear set up in there, at least that's how it felt.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don`t know about flimsy, but they are built to handle 1200 HP. Not that my 6.9 puts out that much. :peelout

A year ago I pulled one out of a 89 F-250 7.3 with a C-6 trans in PNP.
Have it all cleaned up, just need to buy the adaptor for the T-19 trans.

Goat