Factory bullnose wheels

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naaa, it`s the sound of a Deroit Diesel, 2 stroke.
Every down stroke is a power stroke, ok so you need Ear Plugs and Ear Muffs, minor details....
Think the first Diesel I ever drove was Dump Truck with a 6V-53 back in 77.
Had a Grader with a 4-71 and then a Flairty with a 4-53.
Always wanted a 4-53 in a PU....Hmmmm still do.

This Thread has morfed from wheels, to Transmissions to Diesel Engines...

Here is one more....

I copied this from another forum where the guy added an external Pump and Oil Filter to extend the life of the oil in the Sump. The GV only hold about a qt of oil, and recommended to change every 5K miles.

I extended my drain intervals by installing an external sump w/filter, increasing the fluid capacity to about 5 quarts:
http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...cs/CTD_125.jpg
http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...cs/CTD_126.jpg

It was fairly easy and inexpensive by my estimate. Mostly stuff from the big auction site - Mack truck steering resevoir/filter($30), old style Autopulse pump ($25), maybe $30 worth of tubing, clamps, barbs, bolts, etc. plus some scrap steel for custom-made brackets to bolt the stuff on with. You can't buy those, gotta make it yourself. I installed it after the first year and oil change at about 6k miles on the first fill, IIRC. It's got 18 months and around 15k miles on this sump. I'm going to let it go 2 years and see what it looks like. Maybe longer next time, we'll see...
I run the pump once or twice a week for just a few minutes at a time on the way home before pulling into the garage to keep fresh, clean oil in the GV.

Goat

Black dawg

Reaction score
The GV units I have had, the oil stayed very clean over many miles, didnt know they recommended that short of interval?

One thing I have noticed is that both units, and also 3 others that I have had experience with, would all take on oil from the unit it was bolted to..... Would have to drain a little out of the GV and add a little back to the transfer case ever 10-15k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online